Chapter 1

I woke up to the sunlight aggressively trying to make its way into my room. I blinked my eyes open before groaning and turning my back to my window. I closed my eyes trying to fall back asleep. Not even a minute passed before the all too familiar sound of a rooster blared through the speakers of my iPhone.

I sighed loudly, shoving my blankets to the ground before slowly making my way out of bed. I sat up stretching with a yawn, mentally cursing at my sour morning breath. I walked into my bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror. I stared at my reflection, more specifically the bags under my eyes, and instantly regretted how late I stayed up the night before watching Grey’s Anatomy.

After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I decided to go for a comfortable outfit to school and changed into black yoga pants before slipping a grey hoodie over my head, deciding against socks as I slipped into my black and white vans.

I passed a brush through my thick blonde waves and finished my makeup before walking down the stairs for breakfast. I saw my mom in the kitchen, but unfortunately her annoying boyfriend, Jim, was there too.

A frown made its way onto my face and I pushed past him, shoulder slamming into his as I made my way to the pantry before picking out a muffin.

“Samantha,” my mother scolded with an annoyed look on her face as I walked slowly away from them towards the front door. “Don’t be so rude,” my mom said, her mouth pressed in a tight line.

“Don’t worry babe, she’ll come around,” Jim said, hugging my mom from behind shooting me a smirk.

“No one asked for your input, Jim,” I spat, snatching my car keys from the coffee table by the door.

My mom gave me a disapproving look before shaking her head and turning back to Jim before wishing me good luck at school.

I scoffed and picked up my shoulder bag before slamming the door behind me. I rushed into my car, setting my bag in the back seat before slamming that door too.

I started my car, already pissed off with today. We went through this everyday, always fighting whenever Jim was over. I honestly didn’t know why mom stayed with that asshole. I never tried liking him, but I know I’ll never get along with him, not when I can still hear my mom’s whimpers from anywhere in the house whenever she comes back home from seeing him. At first I tried to help her see that he wasn’t good enough for her or good for her at all, but it was all in vain since she never listens and I’ve since given up trying to help her.

I slowly stopped in front of the familiar driveway of my best friend's house, before pulling out my phone.

To: Ana: I'm here

Two minutes passed before a reply came.

From: Ana: Alright bae, coming out soon

  Quickly after receiving her reply, the sound of a front door opening and closing was heard and Ana appeared from her porch and made her way to my car. I unlocked my doors and she quickly got in.

“Hey!” She said smiling and shoving her phone into her sweater pocket.

“Hi,” I replied without as much as enthusiasm as she had.

She noticed and frowned. “Hey, are you okay?” I stayed quiet and realisation dawned on her. “Oh, Jim was over?”

I gave a stiff nod and sighed. “It’s whatever, I don’t care anymore, let’s just go to Starbucks before we’re late for school.”

I saw her roll her eyes from the corner of my eye and smiled softly.

“Your starbucks obsession is getting out of hand.” She said as she opened the glove department and inserted my Ed Sheeran album into my radio.