Calm Before The Storm

Start from the beginning

"Oh-- S-sorry Ratch.." Aubrey frowned. Ratchet shook his helm.

"It's fine. I have the scan." He nodded, starting to type at the larger monitors outside the medbay.

"Good to know we've got such a dedicated medic.." Arcee grumbled, getting a wide eyed stare from Aubrey. Ratchet stopped typing, as if he was rearing up to say something, but seemed to freeze. Aubrey glanced from the femme to the medic frantically, she felt as though the tension threatened to smoosh her.

"I'm sorry, but who's the one with eons of medical experience and technical know how? Oh, right, me. If you go to medical school and have an entire war's worth of knowledge, I'll gladly step down from my post. But until then, I will give the medical reports thank you very much." Ratchet said lowly, giving Arcee a firm glare. The two locked in a stare-down until Arcee gave a quiet huff and stomped away.

Aubrey gulped quietly, staring at Ratchet wide eyed. His optics were dim as he watched Arcee walk away. It wasn't a look of anger or diasdain, it was understanding and.. Compassion. Aubrey didn't think she had seen him give that look before..

Ratchet's motors gave a quiet hum, as if they were giving a sigh as he turned back to the monitor to continue his research. Aubrey looked away, it wasn't polite to stare, she guessed. Instead she looked down at CliffJumper. His paint was charred, chipped, and scratched. Aubrey frowned, how long would it be until he woke up..? She missed him.. She missed him a lot..

"Hey Ratchet..?" Aubrey called quietly.

"Yes?" Ratchet replied.

"Can I.. Can I practice my instrument in the medbay today..? I- I wanna do it for Cliff.." She looked down at her shoes. Ratchet turned away from the monitor, looking her over. He opened his mouth to say that CliffJumper was unconscious, and wouldn't be able to hear it- but instead he closed his mouth and gave a nod. Aubrey looked up at him, giving him a warm smile in thanks. Ratchet couldn't help it, he smiled back just the slightest. Aubrey's eyes lit up, but she quickly looked away. She must've thought that if she showed anything to acknowledge that him smiling was rare, he wouldn't do it as often.

"Thanks, I-I'll play quietly." She nodded, hurrying to her room. Her little pet dog ran in between her moving feet, wagging its tail and hanging its tongue out the side of it's mouth. Aubrey paused to kneel down and pet it gently on the head, her eyes showing love and compassion. It still slipped Ratchet's understanding, how could humans love such primitive animals? But the bonds they had were often so strong and filled with love.. As if there was no species difference. But the thought faded as Aubrey walked back with her little black box that held her instrument, and a dark red folder that held unorganized pieces of papers with lines and symbols he couldn't read. She pulled two sheets put and placed them side by side, leaning them up against the railing. She sat down, letting her dog rest its head in her lap as she lifted the clarinet.

Ratchet turned back to his work, at first tuning out the playing. But as it when on, it actually seemed better than the dead silence he usually worked in. He found his fingers typing to the beat, and he didn't try to stop them. Eventually, he stopped reading all together. He just stared at the screen, pretending to pay attention as he listened to the music. When the playing stopped, he couldn't help but asked.

"Now... What do those symbols mean?" He asked, tilting his helm at the paper.

"Well... I'd have to show you something larger for you to see it better, but.. This is a quarter note, which is only one beat. But-- this part of the sing is in cut time, so it's actually an eighth note, or a half-beat." Aubrey must've said this all too many times, because it sounded rehearsed.

"What is.. One beat?" Ratchet blinked. Aubrey chuckled a little, standing up.

"I'd have to give you am entire lesson if you really wanted to understand it.." She smiled shyly, looking at the ground. Ratchet hesitated. He wanted to know everything he could about human culture (in the hopes he'd one day understand them- which seemed impossible), but to have a lesson from a human..? But then again.. This was Aubrey, she wasn't as annoying as most humans...