The Fire

It was the middle of the night, quite an ordinary night too. It was the Summer and the day only had a light breeze. The twins had went outside after dinner- August running around like a possessed thing while Cosmo sat on the grass and watched his brother.

That's usually how things went. August had ADHD, meaning he always had more engery then his brother.

The twins shared a room, bunk beds with August on top- which probably wasn't a good idea with the amount of times he'd rolled out of the bed in the morning.

Cosmo had the blankets pulled over his head as if hiding from everything- which he probably was.
August was sleeping the wrong-way-round in his bunk.

Suddenly, the door opened and their parents rushed in, waking the twins up.
When August asked what was wrong, he was answered with one word "fire."
The window of their bedroom was opened and, still very confused and sleepy, became aware of the fact that smoke was everywhere and the house was indeed in flames. They suddenly were hugged by their parents and then were told to climb out the window- August first as he was faster and could help his brother. Once they reached the ground, the twins moved back for their parents to come down but instead there was a sudden flash and then black.

August woke up first in a hospital room, paniking and asking where his brother and parents were. He wasn't allowed see his brother who was still asleep, but he was informed that neither of his parents surived...
After the first wave of panic was over, August realised that he couldn't see from his right eye, and was soon told that it was no longer in his head.
He was told that when the building exploded that pieces of glass got stuck in his eye.

The next day, August got to see his brother who was in a different room. After a tackle-hug which very-nearly choked Cosmo, he sat down next to his brother. All the left of his face, and arm was burned. He was hooked up to all this weird machines- August figured it was probably 'cause Cosmo was last out of the house and the machines because of his 'weak immune system' as their parents had told him.

Cosmo soon asked if their parents were in the hospital but when August broke down into tears, he realised what had happened.

A few days later, this social worker started talking to them and told the twins that once they were out of hospital, they'd be sent to St Benard's Ophange. They were promised that they wouldn't be separated.
August was sent there five days after they were told and Cosmo joined him there a week later.