Chapter Five

It became obvious an hour later that Paul was definitely a lot more optimistic about where this night was going than I was. He wouldn't be spending fifteen minutes outside the bar trying to talk me into going to his place if he thought he had no chance.

It was somewhat my fault.

I flirted up a storm with him after leaving Max when most of the time, I was pretty straightforward with a guy about not being interested.

Now I had to let him down and I didn't know a nice, easy way to do it.

"Aiko. You coming or what?" Teesha asked as a cab pulled up in front of her and what was left of Paige's friends. They were going to make one more stop at another bar before calling it a night—or morning since it was almost three a.m.

"Yes. Just give me a sec," I said, knowing it was going to take them a few minutes to decide which bar to go to. I turned to Paul with a sheepish smile. "Listen. I had a good time hanging out—"

My words were cut off when a car neatly whipped into the spot next to us by the curb, its powerful engine humming.

The window rolled down and Max's blond head poked out. "Get in. I'll take you home."

My brow rose at the innuendo but Paul intervened in a nervous stammer. "D-do you know him?"

I smiled at Paul. "He's obsessed with me. Stalks me everywhere. Wants to marry me and have a dozen babies."

Paul's eyes widened and Max just snorted. "She's talking about how she is with me, man. Trust me, you're not up for that kind of baggage."

I snorted. "And you are?"

He grinned crookedly. "I'm the only one who can manage you and you know it."

God. Will this man ever make up his mind?

Unprepared for another round of games when I knew I wasn't going to end up with the one thing I wanted, I shook my head. "Sorry. I don't get into cars with drunk drivers."

"Perfect because I haven't had a drink all night," Max answered easily.

I blinked. And blinked again.

Because he was right.

At least from what I'd seen of him all night—which was most of his entire stay in the bar because I really was a bit stalkerish like that and couldn't stop watching—I hadn't seen him tip back a beer or his usual glass of hard liquor.

Well. That was a bit of a surprise.

I glanced back at Paul and realized he'd already stepped back as if it was a foregone conclusion that of course, I was going to go with Max.

That made my decision for me.

I wasn't going to waste time with someone who couldn't even man up to another guy for me. Not that I was inclined, with or without Max in the picture.