Chapter 1

Anna was living her ordinary life at the shop at 9:00 AM. "What's my purpose?" she would always say to herself. "What am I doing with myself?"

Her boss, Mrs. Wagner, sometimes overheard her. "Sweetie, you're only nineteen," she would say, "you've got a lot ahead of you."

Anna never understood what that meant, and she did try, but what did she have ahead of her? Going to work everyday? Was that it?

She rode her bike back to her old house. Suddenly, out of the blue, a box appeared. A police telephone box right in front of her house. She began inching toward it when a man popped out. The man was funny looking. He had on a fez and a bow tie. "Who wears a bow tie?" she thought to herself. The man was grinning, not noticing Anna staring with wonder. The man finally turned around.

"Oh hello, I'm the Doctor. I believe I've just saved the world. Flew the pandorica into the heart of the explosion, I did. If you'll excuse me, I'm late for Amelia's wedding."

He grabbed a device from his raggedy coat. On the device was a button, and when he pressed it, a green light came from the tip. He turned back at me once more. "Sonic screwdriver," he explained to me.

With that he opened the police box and jumped inside. Anna wondered what he was doing inside. She continued inching forward. Her hand almost touched the blue box, when it started making a noise. She quickly hopped backward as the box began flashing. VHROOM VHROOM was the box's sound. It was disappearing then appearing again when finally it was gone.