Chapter Thirty-two

Start from the beginning

A frown fell on her face as she looked down at her shoes, black boots that shined perfectly with the sun beating down on them. There was no sign of blood there, no sign that she had killed the werewolf or even that she was bitten. She looked towards the Original, a small sense of relied passing through her. "How are you here?" she asked. "Why am I here?" There was no point in deluding herself with ideas of the past, about the captain or a life that could have been. She had lived her life, and it was painfully ending.

"Because you're dying," Elijah said, his hands falling to his side. "You're dying, Eleanor, because you were so blatantly stupid and decided to take a werewolf on your own. Why didn't you have Klaus kill him for you?"

She shrugged her shoulders and pushed her hands inside of her jacket. "Why would I want that?" she asked. "I had no humanity, nothing running through my mind except torturing Gabriel. It would have been a bit more fun if he didn't bite me." For a moment, she could almost feel the pain on the left side of her body, but it immediately faded and she just felt the heat of the sun through her jacket.

The regal-looking Original stared at her for several seconds. "Your humanity is back," he realised. "How?"

Eleanor looked to the sea, the shimmering sea that reminded her of the diamond jewels Klaus had given her. She wanted to say his name—Klaus—but she pushed it to he back of her mind and bit her bottom lip. He was always there; mentally if not physically. It was incomprehensible, like pouring love into an abyss.

When they were on that ship, Klaus had quoted Venus and Adonis, when Venus was praising Adonis as a paragon of beauty, more beautiful than anything in the world. She was saying that Nature achieved perfection in creating him, and Eleanor thought of it as stupid; Nature couldn't make someone so perfect. She was right, because Klaus was for from perfect, but to her... To the young vampire, Klaus was a force of nature—a hurricane—to be reckoned with, but he did everything so elegantly that it made her feel strange. Each crooked smile, each smirk, each lick of his lips, each amused stare made her feel strange.

A small smile appeared around her lips as she slowly moved to take a stand next to him, her eyes out to the sea. "Klaus," she simply said.

"Klaus gave you back your humanity?" he asked. "Did he compel it?"

She shook her head, biting both of her lips between her teeth as embarrassment hit her. A soft shade of red appeared on her cheeks. "No, he..." She scratched her head, an embarrassed laugh escaping her mouth. "You want to know what I noticed, Elijah? The best lies were always mixed with the truth. Each time I told myself that I disliked Klaus, that I was perfectly fine living without him—I was lying."

Elijah let out a huff, shaking his head. "And just when you're dying," he said, a hint of disappointment in his voice, "you come to realise what my dear brother means to you. How blind and stupid were you, Eleanor?"

The young vampire let out a scoff as she rolled her eyes.

"It would have been nice to Klaus happy," she heard Elijah breath. "For a little more while, at least."

"Where is he?" she asked, glancing up at the blue sky. There were a few specks of white clouds, still in the sky.

"Speaking to a witch," Elijah said. "He's hoping there's a cure."

Eleanor's heart tugged. She looked down at the sea and let out a breath. "There isn't," she said, stating it. "If there were, I would know about it already."

Elijah frowned down at the girl. "You're dying," he said, again. "You're dying, and there is nothing we can do. Do you know how hard it is to see you speak delusional things? You're in and out of consciousness; you're praying in what I presume to be Latin, then you ask about your mother, then Thomas, Gianni. You even asked about Rebekah, and had a conversation with the air as if she were standing there."