Chapter 16

The next morning, Violet was trying to decide what to do with her time. She wanted to play the piano, but she remembered with dismay what she had told Arin the night before. While trying to convince herself that she wanted to read, not play the piano, she remembered something else.

She was going to be here for a very long time. Maybe even the rest of her life. And there was absolutely no way she was never going to play one of the multiple pianos in the house simply because Arin might come and watch her. She wouldn't deny herself that particular pleasure because of him.

With that, VIolet resolutely marched out her door and down the stairs, straight to the music room. As soon as she got there, she grabbed a book and started playing, not noticing what it was, and not caring one bit.

About ten minutes later, Violet became aware of a presence in the room with her. She finished the song she was on and then turned to face Arin. They looked at each other for a long moment, both of them silent.

"Hi," she said at last, a half-smile on her face. Arin smiled back (or-what she took to be a smile, anyway).

"Hello," he replied. Tilting his head towards the piano, he commented, "That sounded very nice." Violet awarded him with a full smile.

"Thank you," she said. She opened her mouth as if to say more, but then clamped it shut and looked away, laughing softly to herself. Arin regarded her quizzically.

"What is it?" he asked, wanting to know the cause of her laughter.

"Nothing," Violet answered innocently, shaking her head at him. "Nothing at all."

"You're not being truthful. Now tell me," Arin insisted.

"No! It's-It's just stupid!" she said, laughing again.

"I highly doubt that," he replied, "and even if it is, I don't care. Please tell me, Violet." She glanced up at him, her smile gone and replaced with a searching look.

"Alright," she agreed slowly. "I'll tell you-I guess." Her smile came out again. "I-was just going to ask you if you played the piano, but then I rethought that one," gesturing at his huge hands. Arin threw his head back and laughed loudly. Violet joined in, once she got over her start at the sound.

"The answer is no, I most definitely do not," he replied once she stopped laughing. After a brief hesitation, he glanced at her and continued, "I used to, though. A-A very long time ago."

"When you were a child, I presume?" Violet asked. Arin nodded once.

"Yes," he said shortly. Without allowing her to respond, he asked, "How long have you been playing?"

"Well, I started taking lessons when I was four," Violet answered, "and the only time I didn't play for more than a week after that was the four months I lived in Renon. After the whole thing with the planes, we were too poor to even own a piano, much less transport it to Renon."

"I see. Well, as you probably already know, you are welcome to use any musical instrument in this house," Arin told her. "Not just the piano."

"Thank you," Violet replied, then fell silent, unsure of what to say next. Before too long, however, Arin took the decision away from her.

"If you don't mind, I would very much like it if you kept playing," he said, gesturing towards the piano.

"Oh, sure. No problem," Violet said quickly. She faced the piano again and, turning the page to a new song, began playing. Once she finished it, she decided to go to another book and started searching for a composer she wanted a play. Before too long, she stumbled on a book of Beethoven's works and smiled. Here was something she would like.

The Rose of Anthacenaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें