CHAPTER 2

Sigurdsson's Last Vacation

                                                                Preparations

                                                                Chapter Two

     Harald ambled up the gentle slope toward the low summit of a rocky outcrop, to reach the tomb of St-Olaf, above the river Nid, to perform a custom from the old Viking raiding days. He paused to look about him. In the distance, he watched as the birds flew, swooping and scooping up the insects. He watched them until they grew smaller only to disappear, to merge into the almost cloudless blue sky.

    He walked on until he saw the tomb come into view. The small stone building stood upon the lonely outcrop; the remains of offerings from pilgrims were laid about in animal disturbed disarray. The building is in partial darkness; the only light being that which shone through the cracks in the masonry between the jams in the poorly fitted, warped wooden door. He felt he'd become soft; it had been a while now, since he last felt his blood course through his veins to battle such a mighty foe as Harold. His earnest desire to revive himself psychologically; to ask St-Olaf permission, once more to go to war, and with this special visit to the tomb at Nidaros. His intention is to pray for his forces total victory over the ungodly Godwinson, and the safe deliverance of his men.

     Reaching to his belt, he felt for his kid-skin pouch, from which he took out the key to the door of the tomb. The lock is stuff to turn, but he managed to release the mechanism without breaking the key. The door swung open, creaking eerily as it did so. He entered the tomb, and could see, in the dim light, the walls covered with plaster and paintings depicting the life of the revered saint. The colours were still vivid, despite their age. His nostrils took in the musty smell of damp, moldy air, but didn't notice this too much; he'd a sacred mission to perform. He lifted the lid of the stone sarcophagus, his senses heightened, when he felt the spirit of the great saint surrounding him, his sense of well being giving him strength. His thoughts wandered to that of his enemy, as he imagined the face of Harold, how he would show him the relics of the revered saint that had brought him total victory, before he made the usurping throne thief prostrate himself before he cut off his head.

    A smile came to him, then as his imagination ran amok, when cold gust from the doorway brought him back to reality and the reason for his visit. Taking out a pair of sheers from his bag, he felt, in the semi darkness, for the wizened head of the long dead Olaf, lifted it a little, and cut off a lock of hair. He placed the cuttings in a small box that's not much bigger than a walnut that he'd brought specially for the purpose. Feeling under the shroud, he felt for the hands of the saint; to his touch they were hard, like an over-dried prune. He felt no disgust at doing this, for a relic of the saint would, he felt sure, protect him and his warriors from harm during battle. Holding the saint's delicate fingers, he cut small bits off the nails of the remains of the revered saint.

    Through the door, a robin flew in and perched upon a rusted iron candlestick. The bird seemed sing a short lament toward the old Viking king, then made its exit, fluttering ungainly into the bright sunshine. He looked bemused for a moment as he placed the nail clippings, along with the hair into the little box. His task complete, he slid the cover back on the sarcophagus. With his hands now locked together as in prayer, he mumbled a long, inaudible gift of worship. From his finger, he took a gold ring, placing it on top of the stone lid; he stood up, turned around and made his exit. Taking the key from his purse, he closed then locked the door of the tomb behind him. Slowly, he walked down to the river Nid. He brought the key to his lips, kissed it, and having said a prayer for the saint and his men; threw the keys into the fast flowing blue-green river.

SIGURDSSON'S LAST VACATIONजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें