Chapter 5: Notes and a Plan

Rachel's POV

After settling in, I hear footsteps outside my door. I quickly head over to the chaise lounge and cover myself with a plush, pale pink blanket. There was a click of a key and the door opened, spreading candlelight into the room. I open my eyes slowly, as if I just woke up. Who stood there was not at all who I expected.

It was Madame Giry.

"How are you doing dear?" She asked.

"Just wonderful," I reply.

"Where were you?" Madame Giry interrogated.

"You know Erik Destler correct?" I question back.

She looked taken aback by this, but she regained composure.

"Yes I'm well acquainted with Monsieur Destler," she answered.

"I know who he is and how his childhood was," I tell her, "You don't have to spare me."

"He brought you down to his home didn't he," Madame Giry stated.

"That is correct," I answer, "I plan to move in with him soon enough."

"You mustn't," she snapped.

"Why ever not?" I ask.

"You might gain suspicions," Madame Giry says in a harsh whisper, "The other ballerinas, or "ballet rats" as Monsieur Destler calls them, will ask questions and attempt to follow you."

"But, I told him I would..."

"I'm not saying not at all," she interrupts, "Just not now. You can start off with a visit, since you two seem to get along well."

"How do you know all of this?" I ask her.

"He came to me just after eight o'clock, telling me how he's so happy to have you as a friend."

Well that was fast. Well if Erik has tunnels all over the Opera House, then he probably is able to go from one side to the other in less than five minutes when it takes everyone else on the surface a good fifteen minutes to a half an hour.

"What else did he say?" I inquire, intrigued.

"That he finds you to be more than he's ever imagined the night he met you. He said he felt safe and secure when you are around. It is because not many don't turn away in horror if they catch a glimpse at his face. You are the newest light in his life. He is so grateful to you."

"I'm glad to have help him," I reply.

"I'll tell everyone you were "sick" and can't come to rehearsal," Madame Giry says with a wink.

I laugh at the rebellious streak from the always serious Antoinette Giry. I decide to write down a plan on some stationary, to help plan out how to set sail a ship I typically usually tend to sink. As soon as the quill pen hit the paper though, I started to write lyrics to a song. Being the songwriter I am, I usually think about recent experiences.

The night I first met you
You were walking through the door
As I was wishing and hoping
For life to give me more
You then introduced me to a brand new world
At that moment my heart was set awhirl

The way you smiled made me feel my soul was anew
I felt a glow, a spark of love I longed to give to you
But we were just kids trying to make it out alive
We looked before we lept and then we dived

Headfirst in love
As deep as an ocean
The way you left me
Filled with devotion
And then as soon as it begun
We parted ways and that small moment was done
We floated and flew
We reached for the stars
If only I knew
Who you really are
Then I rose from the ashes
Like a bird of fire
And then my heart, my love
Felt as rare as a sapphire