chapter eighteen

Começar do início

"On the color of Smurfs?" He cocks one eyebrow and smirks to himself.

I grin. "The issues, Harry. We need to focus on the issues."

"Right. Smurf color and shit." He wipes his hands on his jeans and fiddles some more with the antenna. "We'd be great politicians, Amber."

"Surprised they haven't put us in office yet, to be perfectly honest with you."

"You're insane," he says, shaking his head.

A  whirring sound above our heads distracts us both. Craning my neck upwards, I catch a glimpse of a plane flying low in the sky, so low that I can make out the blue stripe running down its side. I frown. "Is there an airport nearby?"

"Not that I know of." Harry looks just as confused as I feel.

"Then why is it so low in the air? Looks like it could land any moment."

He shrugs, his shoulders carefully tense. "Beats me."

Slowly, the growl of the plane's engine fades, and it disappears over the treeline. I shrug. "Could be private."

Harry still looks suspicious. "Could be."

For some reason, I recall the piloting license I discovered on Damon's desk a few weeks ago. Are the two incidents related? It seems rather far-fetched; where could Damon have flew in such a short amount of time? Unless it's someone else flying the plane...

I'm confusing myself. But I know by the look on Harry's face that he's thinking of the pilot license, too.

"There," Harry finally grunts, standing up again. 

"Fixed?" I question, glancing down at the satellite. It doesn't really look that much different, but what do I know?

"Yeah." 

Eagerly, he turns and hurries back towards the elevator. I bite back a laugh as I join him in the lift, but he seems to notice my amusement anyway. Embarrassment and frustration mingle on his face, but he doesn't say anything. 

The doors slide shut, and I press the button for the Lab 2 floor, figuring that Harry should get off first. 

"Amber?"

"Yeah?" I ask, struggling to close the complicated clasp on the toolbox.

"Thanks."

I pause, temporarily giving up on latching the box. "For what?"

"For, you know... talking about useless stuff like Smurfs."

"Um-"

"You distracted me." He flashes me a nervous smile. "It may not seem like a big deal to you, but that's because you don't know how big my fear of heights is... It's paralyzing. Yet I just went up on that roof, and I survived." He beams idiotically.

Still surprised at the thank-you, I stammer, "Y-you're welcome."

Harry swallows, then kneels next to me, reaching out. "Let me," he says, and takes the toolbox latches from my fumbling fingers. Our hands brush for a second, and he lets his fingers linger against mine before pulling away. "There."

"Thanks." 

We reach our floor, and the elevator doors ding open. Before either of us can step out, Mr. Billings enters. "What are you two still doing here?" he demands, face growing red.

"Um, we just got back."

"Back? You're supposed to be out of the building!"

"Why?" I ask.

"Didn't you hear the fire alarm?" Spittle flies from his mouth and splatters my face.

I wipe it off as discreetly as possible. "No-o. We were up on the roof, remember?"

"Is there a fire?" Harry snaps.

"A fire drill," Mr. Billings fusses. "And you two have already delayed enough. Take this elevator down to the lobby and get the hell out of the building."

He slams his pudgy fist against the elevator button before stepping out. The lift lurches downwards again, and Harry and I stare at each other. "Why are they having a fire drill now?" I question. 

"Why do they do anything in this stupid place? Ugh." He throws his hands in the air, then bites down on his bottom lip. "I don't think this is a planned fire drill, Amber."

"Then?"

"I think they just wanted all the interns out of the building because Damon has secret visitors." He gives me a meaningful glance.

My eyes widen. "The plane."

We've arrived the lobby by now. "You go outside. If anyone asks where I am, cover for me."

"Where are you going?"

Grimly, Harry says, "I'm going back upstairs to see what they're up to."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Not at all. But I'm still going to do it."

"I'm coming with you."

"Hell no."

"But-"

Harry scowls. "Look, if both of us disappear it'll be too suspicious. Tell you what: you go outside for the fire drill and I promise to tell you whatever I overhear or discover. Deal?"

I hesitate a moment, eyes flickering from his offered hand to his face. He looks sincere.

I shake his hand. "Deal."

Harry nods and steps back into the elevator. His green eyes flash one last time before the doors separate us. I wait till I hear the machine whirring upwards before turning and racing out of the building to join the others.

Some "fire drill". I hope Harry's careful.