Chapter 46: "I still hate him. I just love doing it."

Start from the beginning

“Then let’s go.”

Jaden led me by my hand to Luke’s room. His fingers still trembling slightly.

I tried to brace myself for seeing him, but when I saw Luke’s broken body lying limp in one of those hospital beds with all sorts of tubes and contraptions protruding his body I didn’t know what to think.

My heart began to hammer and my eyes began to swell.

He was in a little single room with two chairs, both of which Lily and Noah were sitting in. Neither was talking, just looking at Luke with the same depressed looks on their tired faces.

“You two can go and stretch your legs. Elly and I will stay with him now.” Jaden said alerting them to our presence.

Lily looked up at me and gave a quick smile before standing to her feet carefully.

“I’m going for a smoke. Do not give me that look Noah.” Lily hissed when Noah gave her a disgusted look.

Lily didn’t smoke, not anymore, but she did a few years back. I couldn’t blame her for taking it back up today. She was stressed after all.

“Okay, I’ll get another coffee then.” Noah said unwillingly and stood up with her. On the way past he gave me a quick hug and slapped Jaden on the shoulder.

I slowly took the seat Lily had been in and Jaden took Noah’s, we elapsed into an awkward silence, but after a few minutes Jaden decided to break it.

“Luke, since you’re currently in hibernation mode I think you could keep a secret.” He began, casting me a quick glance before continuing, “Elyon totally sucks at kissing man. I mean sucks. You know she laughed? Yeah laughed after I kissed her, she’s so weird.”

I laughed. Properly laughed for the first time in hours and smacked the back of Jaden’s head.

“Don’t listen to him Luke. I only laughed at his lame ass kissing techniques.” I said leaning my head on Jaden’s shoulder and smiling down at Luke.

Jaden chuckled quickly and gripped harder onto my hand.

“Ah man, you had better wake up soon and sort her out. You know how awesome my skills are.”

I pulled a face and sighed.

“Yeah, then you could kick his ass for me when he tries to act like it mean nothing.” I said quietly.

“I won’t do that Elly.” Jaden murmured back.

“Let’s not go there just now okay? This is Luke time. Everything else can wait.” I said internally punching myself for bringing up my stupid girl fears.

“Okay, but we will talk about it.”

I nodded and quickly and changed the topic to how Luke and I first met, trying anything to earn some sort of reaction from our lifeless friend.

Mines and Jaden’s problems can wait.

About half an hour later something weird happened.

A little plump nurse burst into the room her eyes sweeping over Jaden and I briefly before she said I had a phone call from someone called ‘Dave.’ She was really pissed that he had called here looking for me but the man had been polite enough for her to let me briefly use the staff phone.

Now not only did I find it weird that Dace would be calling a hospital for me, I found it odd that he knew I was here to begin with, but it was Dave. And I hadn’t spoken to him in so long. So after telling Jaden I would be back in ten minutes I followed her to the little staff room where she left my with the phone.