Chapter 3 - Treehouse

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, Mr. Bresko blew the whistle and everyone dropped what they were doing and kneeled to the floor.

"Many of you are serving like kindergartners!" Mr. Bresko's voice travelled all around the room. "When you're serving, I'm seeing a lot of people throwing the birdie right before they hit it! That is NOT what you're supposed to do." He scanned the room and pointed to someone. "Kay, come up here."

My eyes followed where Mr. Bresko was pointing and saw Robbie lifting himself from off the ground. He walked over to Mr. Bresko and crossed his arms.

In the backround I could hear the sounds of girls chattering and squealing in excitement.

"Robbie and I are going to demonstrate the proper way to serve in badminton!" Mr. Bresko yelled so everyone could hear.

He took two rackets and a birdie from someone else's court and handed a racket and the birdie to Robbie. They stood a couple feet apart and Mr. Bresko gave a single nod to Robbie. At that, Robbie served the birdie at a perfect angle and it landed right on Mr. Bresko's racket, which swung and hit it back. Robbie stopped the game by purposefully catching the birdie into his hands.

Mr. Bresko turned back to the audience. "See, that is the proper way to serve!"

Now, I heard both boys and girls chattering. while girls chattered excitedly, boys chattered jealously.

I leaned over to Danielle and whispered, "What is up with everyone and Robbie?"

"Robbie is an all-star athlete," Danielle whispered back in an annoyed tone. "He's top in almost every sport in the school."

I turned back to Robbie and Mr. Bresko. Mr. Bresko blew his whistle and yelled, "Back to your game!"

Everyone stood back up and continued playing. This time, I served, and both me and Danielle rallied for 12 hits in that one round. I could've gotten more, but my eyes became distracted when I saw Robbie from the side of my eyes, staring at me.

****

"Would you like to stop by somewhere before we head over to my place?" Danielle asks me while we walk over to her car.

"I don't have much in mind," I reply. "But a look around town would be nice. Having not been here a while makes me curious as to what's changed."

Danielle unlocks the car and as we step inside, she says, "Not much has changed, really. Same ol' boring town."

I shrug. "I'd still like to look around."

Danielle sighed. "Okay we'll take a look around. But I promise you, you won't find much to stare at."

We drove out of the parking lot and started heading out to the road. As Danielle drove, I looked out at all the things that haven't changed. Danielle says there's not much to look at, but everything has a little memory of its own.

We passed by a tree that reminded me of the time I climbed it and broke my leg falling down. An abandoned house reminded me of how Khloe and I, as kids, would wander around it for hours looking for ghosts.

Then we neared my old treehouse.

"Danielle?" I said, pointing out towards a sandy driveway surrounded by grassy fields. "Can we park there real quick?"

Danielle looked to where I was pointing. "There?"

I nodded. She looked at me curiously but did as I told. She drove to where I pointed and once the car stopped, I opened the door and walked out. I began walking towards a path in between two fields of grass which led to a deep forest.