CHAPTER 2 The Guardians

The early morning air was crisp and cool. Taking a deep breath and letting it out briskly, James walked towards the gate. The gravel of the driveway crunched beneath him for every step he took. He looked back and saw Kaitlyn, Sarah and Ruth discussing something.

"Are we gonna walk?" he inquired, pulling his jacket tighter as a chilly gust hit him.

"Yeah." came the reply from Sarah "The institute is only a couple of blocks away from here. I think it's a good chance to show you the ropes around here."

He stopped right infront of the gate and opened it, waiting for the three girls to pass first then he followed them locking the bolt behind him. Sarah seemed to be close with everyone in the neighbourhood as they were greeted every minute. They had to stop twice as some would come and share some news with them, but James didn't pay much attention to it.

Finally, they were able to continue walking without any interventions from people. Sarah acted as a guide telling them what road they were on, showing them landmarks, and telling them the purpose of every mini-shop they passed by.

"There it is!" Sarah pointed to a massive building that looked more like seven coliseums put together rather than an institute. "That's where you'll be under going Special Training!"

James' heart rate sped up as the overwhelming size of the Institue swallowed him. It was not only huge, but something about it made him feel out of place. He saw trainees going in and out, and noticed they were always in groups and rarely saw anyone alone. "I hope I get a decent group here." he said to himself.

"It's so big, I wonder if we'll be able to not get lost in there." Ruth whispered to him as they approached the building.

"Yeah, not only that, if you look closely, you'll notice something else." James said pointing to the gate.

Ruth stared for a while then her eyes grew wide as she looked back at James, "Is that?..."

"Yeah, it's made of Emerald. And I don't think the building is made out of glass."

"What could it be?" Ruth asked stunned, "And how were they able to carve emerald into a gate with such precision?"

"Guess we're about to find out, looks like our visit is expected. That must be one of the Trainers here."

A small woman who was just about two inches shorter than James was waiting for them at the gate. "Welcome," she said looking at James and Ruth "to Argentine Institue. I am Sandra, the headmaster here. Depending on what course you choose, I might be your mentor. Anyway, we don't have much time for introductions, let's get you to the orientation hall." she said clapping her hands and acknowledging Sarah and Kaitlyn.

"We have some errands to do. We leave these two in your hands." Sarah said smiling at Sandra.

"You're not coming with us?!" Ruth exclaimed looking nervous as Sandra stepped back to give them some space.

"You're mother and I will be visiting some friends, don't be scared. People are friendly and hospitable here, you'll be fine." Sarah said with an assuring tone, but Ruth was still not eased.

"We won't be gone long, we'll be back before your orientation ends." Kaitlyn said as she gave Ruth a long hug and kissed her on the cheek. "Go on now," as she also hugged James "and all the best."

Ruth let out a low moan as they watched their mother and cousin disappear round a corner. James put his hand on her shoulder, "Let's go."

They both turned around. Sandra smiled at them and gestuered for them to walk beside her. James moved to her left and Ruth stood by her right. "Lets go!" she said looking towards an open entrance that had a sign "Emerald Gate" carved on a slate of what seemed to be a marble green stone mixed with silver embossed on the wall on it's right side.