Chapter 9: Worsened

Sheila walked through the garden picking out weeds while carrying a large basket that was propped on her side to hold the weeds she grabbed. She went down the entire perimeter, feeling a bit light headed, but still pressing on.

She was still relieved the dots on her hands had not been noticed by the queen...

At least not yet.

In only a few days, they would be celebrating the young prince's birthday, and everyone was going in and out of the throne room, discussing plans with the Pharaoh.

"Ow!" Sheila heard Atem suck air through his teeth on the other side of the wall.

She almost dropped the baskets, wanting to see what was wrong, but she knew she couldn't. They had been working on sword fighting lessons all morning and Atem seemed to be a little behind on the new teacher's instructions. She only listened carefully as she picked a handful of weeds out of the garden.

"Atem, a real Pharaoh stays strong and does not fall or show any signs of pain no matter how it hurts." His new instructor explained in a voice that was deep and emotionless, "It shows signs of weakness. A strong prince is hard to make kneel."

She heard Atem shudder under his breath. She had been listening to the lesson all day, noticing that the new instructor was down to the point. He didn't play around and he was hard core.

She almost wanted to go and just get Atem out of there to play. But she knew it was a bad idea.

"Sheila, are you finished?" The Queen called from the doorway to the castle.

Sheila turned and nodded, "Yes, Queen. I am finished."

Sheila began to walk, but her head suddenly protested against it. Her head pounded and she struggled not to let out cried of pain. She walked slowly, trying to forget the pain.

The Queen took the basket and gave Sheila a concerned look. She put her hand on the slave's shoulder, Sheila swaying from side to side.

"Sheila, are you feeling alright?" She asked.

Sheila only stood, her eyelids slowly shutting. She suddenly felt herself collapse at the Queens feet, the woman gasping and calling for the nurses and the doctors.

**************

"What?!"

Atem couldn't help but step into his father's conversation with the teacher. He couldn't believe his ears.

Sheila collapsed?

No...Atem thought, Not now...

"Atem, I am sorry, but it is the truth." His father nodded.

Atem, at the sound of these words, ran back in, determined to check in on Sheila and he was not going to separate from her. Not for another week. Not until she was well again.

To tell the truth, several times during the lesson, Atem almost lost himself as well. He would stumble a few times and he would sometimes be too worried about the illness to hear about tactics in fighting.

But none of that mattered, not with his only best friend sick in bed.

"Sheila!" Atem harshly whispered once in her quarters.

He fell to his knees at the side of her bed, not able to believe what he was seeing.

"A...tem." Sheila slowly opened her eyes, "I'm sorry for your worry."

Atem shook his head, tears flying. He returned to her gaze with tear filled eyes.

"Not you too." He said, "Please do not die on me."

He grasped her hand with his dotted one. She squeezed his hand, a slight smirk on her face.

"I still have at least a day..." She struggled to get out, "Don't cry for me just yet."

"Just yet?" Atem repeated, "You will not give up! I won't let you give up!"

Sheila's eyes drooped. She closed them, falling into a light sleep, her chest slowly rising up and down, in a rhythm that was too slow for her own good. Atem knelt there, laying his head on his hands beside her head.

"I won't leave you." He whispered, "Not ever. You are my only remaining best friend."

He suddenly felt himself get drowsy. His eyes were suddenly heavy and he found himself drifting easily to sleep, still staring at Sheila's sleeping face.