Branch, Chapter One: "Grandma!"

Okay okay, you know that singing killed my grandma. But why was I, a young, innocent five-year-old boy, singing, "Total Eclipse of the Heart?"

Because that song reminded me of my deceased parents.

Yeah, your probably thinking the Bergens ate them when I was a baby, right? Well think again! See, when I was a bright, happy child, I didn't even know I had parents until I was five. Grandma told me that soon after I was born, my parents got very sick after they accidentally ate poison berries, and before they died, they gave me to her.

I didn't turn grey when she told me because I wasn't actually there when it happened. When Grandpa was alive, he stayed with me while Grandma stayed with my parents and tried to treat them before it was too late.

And her timing was perfect.

After my parents died, my grandparents decided to take care of me, though I realized they were forced to anyway because I had no one else left in my family (long story short: they were eaten). They said that the tragedy of my parents was a "Total Eclipse of the Heart," and ever since that day, they began singing that song to me so that I wouldn't find out the real reason why my parents were gone.

I wish I got to meet my parents. Grandma used to tell me that they were the sweetest people she's ever met. They knew everyone in the community.

Especially King Peppy, Poppy's dad.

For years and years, my family's been fighting against King Peppy. He grew up with my dad, and they never seemed to get along. They always bantered because Dad always wanted to be king, but King Peppy wanted to be king as well. I remembered Grandma telling me the reason why King Peppy won the feud.

And how he killed my Grandpa to do so.