Chapter Twenty Four-An ominous transition

Start from the beginning

"Sort of," I explained.

An expression that was unreadable passed through John's face. He looked away then sighed. "You should stay away from them Lynn. He's a bad man."

"I kind of figured that bit out," I replied.

"No seriously Lynn," John continued. "You don't know what he's capable of. He has contacts everywhere. It's not safe to know him."

John's words hung in the air. They were filled with hatred and there was something else in them too. Fear. I couldn't understand what John meant. I knew that Martin was dealing drugs, but just how bad could it be? When Jace had told me about him getting caught up with Martin, I hadn't expected it to be to this extent.

"But he hardly even knows me," I retorted.

John stared at me. Then he snorted. "You have a lot to learn about Martin."

Confusion clouded my mind. "How do you even know so much about Jace or Martin for that matter?"

He shrugged. "We go back."

"Who?" I demanded.

"Me and Martin. Jace too." John stared at the ceiling.

"But it's just a small drug dealing thing, right?" I asked.

John laughed. It came out cold. "Maybe you're smoking the weed Jace is feeding you, but it's a lot bigger than what you think."

I felt my heartbeat speed up slightly.

"But how do you know them," I repeated.

"Long story short," John replied, "I sometimes used to help Martin out when Jace bailed."

John must have seen my confused expression. "He left, he did tell you that right?"

I nodded. "Yeah, he told me."

"Did he tell you why?" John asked.

"Sort of," I answered.

"Did he tell you how he's been spending time in a correctional facility?" John questioned.

I didn't have to reply for John to receive my answer. My mouth went dry as I sat there. I was so horribly confused. Why didn't Jace tell me this but more importantly, why was John explaining Jace's past to me? What was the purpose? Did he want to warn me to get out of what I had with Jace before it was too late?

"You see Lynn," John replied, "it's really not good for you to be spending so much of time with that boyfriend of yours. He's got a lot more secrets than you think."

Before I could say anything more, the front door opened, revealing my father. He walked in with a smile which only widened when he spotted John.

"John, you're here already," my father beamed.

"Thought I'd be early for once," John replied.

Dad glanced at me then back at John. "That's great. Let's head down to the studio then and get started shall we?"

"Sure." John stood and walked out of the room. As he turned, making his way through the archway, he turned and gave me a pointed look.

I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Something was wrong.

When I reached my locker-where Jace and I agreed to meet before we came clean to Mrs Davis-he was nowhere in sight. A small hopeful part of me wanted to believe that he didn't want to quit the competition because he was secretly in love with me, but my more logical part told me that something else was going on.