Episode 5 - Goodbyes and New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

"You ready?" Ronnie asked Cheryl who was looking at her reflection in the mirror.

"Just about." Cheryl replied.

"Well, I have to go by Jason's room and feed Nate for a while so I'll see you later guys." Diana said as she picked up Nate and exited the room.

"You go ahead. I'll be down." Cheryl told Veronica after a beat.

"Okay." Veronica replied and took her leave.

(WITH ARCHIE || FIRST FLOOR OF THORNHILL MANSION)

He looked around and spotted Penelope Blossom about to walk by. He stood up from his seat and in front of her.

"I'm so sorry for your loss, Mrs. Blossom. I thought you might want to have this." Archie said as he held out Jason's jersey to her.

"You're so much like him." She said, distracted as she traced his face and hair with her fingers. She then snapped out of it.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Thank you, Archibald." She said as she took it from him and proceeded to the front.

"Did she just touch your hair?" Kevin asked him as he sat down again.

"That was really sweet, what you did." Betty encouraged.

"She deserves it. More than I do." Archie told them.

"Days like today really put things in perspective, huh? I mean, at least we're here. At least we're alive." Veronica pointed out to them before taking a seat beside Daniel, who was in front of the group.

Archie looked at them as Daniel held Veronica's hand and kissed. Ronnie let go of his hand to caress his cheek before resting her hand against his knee and patting it comfortingly. This reminded him of the unresolved things between him and Diana. Just as he was about to ask Veronica where she was, Diana entered the room, carrying Nathaniel who looked so much like Jason that time, it wasn't a question whose son he was. Diana walked through the center aisle and approached Penelope who had stood to meet them. Diana turned to face the crowd, her eyes landing on Archie and on the person to his left, Valerie. Archie was about to stand up and talk to her when she quickly avoided eye contact. Archie just stared. She was wearing a black flowy sleeveless dress which ended above the knee with a silver belt and black wedges. Her hair was in an up-do with tiny ringlets framing her face, Archie thought she looked like a fallen angel.

The whole group watched as Penelope fussed over her grandson who was still in Diana's arms. The Blossom matriarch gestured to Jason's jersey and Diana shook her head before opening the black jacket Nate was wearing and revealed a baby version of said jersey. Penelope gasped in surprise, a few tears fell from her face before taking her grandson from his mother's arms and walking towards Clifford who was off to the side. Diana just smiled at the two before she walked over to her friends.

"Hey guys, on behalf of the Blossom family, thank you for coming." She said as she nervously played with the rings in her necklace with her left hand which proudly displayed her engagement ring.

"There's nowhere else we'd rather be, Jewel." Jughead said, calling her by that special nickname.

Archie was about to ask her if they could talk when everyone turned their heads towards the back. They saw Cheryl walk in wearing the exact same thing she wore the last time she was with her twin brother, down by Sweetwater River on July 4th. Penelope and Clifford looked shocked and Diana immediately approached the couple, took Nate from them and stood beside them.

"Welcome to Thornhill. Thank you all for coming. If you'll kindly take your seats. I'd like to start the memorial with a few words about Jason." Cheryl spoke and Penelope tried to get up from her seat to stop her but was stopped by Clifford and Veronica.