Chapter 2

"What the fuck? A 10? Why are there numbers everywhere?" Were thoughts running through Yuu's head.

Yuichiro didn't realise that he'd been staring until Mika waved his hand in front of him.

"What are you doing?" Yuu said, batting away Mika's hands.

"You we're spacing out." Mikaela said, smiling.

"Uh... Yeah, I guess I was." Yuu replied, glancing over again at the floating ten above Mika's head.

"Let's get to class. I wouldn't want to be late." Mika said, flashing a bright grin at Yuu before turning towards the school.

Yuu sighed and slowly followed.

~~~

This is so weird, Yuu states to himself as he plops down onto the bench behind the school.

Yuu takes out his lunch and opens it.

I saw that guy steal the purse when I was on the bus to school today. The number above his head went from a six to a six point one, so maybe it has something to do with crimes?

Yuu paused.

There's no way Mika's a criminal, right?

Yuu picked up and took a bite out of his sandwich.

Then maybe it has something to do with how strong people are?

"Yuu-chan?" A voice said.

Yuichiro turns around and sees Mikaela waving to him.
"Yuu, your friends want you to come in and eat with them!" Mika says.

There's no way Mika's that strong. Yuu thinks, as he packs up and walks over to the cafeteria.

~~~

"I'm home!" Yuu says, taking off his shoes.
"Welcome back." Shinya says, coming out from behind he kitchen.

Yuu pauses for a second.

"...Hey, Shinya? Could you call Guren over? There's something I need to talk about."
Shinya gives Yuu a worrier look.

"Of course." He says at the end. "I'll go get him."

~~~

The three boys sat sat around the kitchen table, tension in the air.

"So... What'd you needa talk about?" Guren asked.
"So um... about my contacts."

Shinya visibly stiffened. Guren looked over at his husband and squeezed his hands.

"w...what about them?" Shinya asked, putting on a happy face.

"So... I woke up this morning and forgot to put them on." Yuu said, eyeing his parents' movements.

"Oh..." Guren said, looking away from Shinya and Yuichiro.

"Hey... Dads? Why are there numbers above everyone's heads?" Yuu asked. He may have sounded calm, but his hammering heart stated otherwise.

Shinya looked at Guren and sighed.

"Look. We're... Sorry for keeping this from you, but it really was for your own good. You... your eyes, Yuu, are a victim to brain malfunction. A deformity. I guess... your brain has a mix-up with what you can view, and doesn't understand that numbers aren't supposed to go above peoples heads."
"but-"
"And I know what you're going to ask, 'Why did this happen to me?'. And honestly, we don't have an answer. When we found you, I wasn't able to diagnose you with a sickness, and even with all the experience I have now, I still can't."

Yuu stares at Shinya.

"Of course he'd be confused." Guren said. He then turned to Yuu.
"We understand it if you need to think over this new information. It is a lot to take in."

Yuu nodded and slowly stood up.

Deformity? Brain malfunction?

Thoughts ran around messily in Yuu's head. He slowly walked out the kitchen and into his room.

Yuichiro closed he door behind him and slumped down against it.

Why'd they hide it from me for so long?

~~~

"He can't know."

"But why not? He's already found out."

"It's for his own safety, love. We can't let him know."

"But... Why?"

"You know how reckless he is. He might out himself, and we wouldn't want them to find him, now would we?"

"Of course not!"

"Then lets keep up this ruse until it's absolutely necessary to tell him."

"...Okay."