Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

Ari curtseys to the room and rises with a trained elegance. "Lady Arabella, would you mind if I joined you? I promise I will be silent if needed." She asks with respect. Arabella has no option but to incline her head in affirmation. To do otherwise would be far too suspicious and Orion has made it clear that he does not trust her.

Ari enters and Arabella notices that she is already carrying a book. Ari settles herself onto the window seat, feet up but appropriately as her skirt covers even her shoes when she does so. Hunter smiles when he sees the title of the book. Ari smiles softly as she begins to read. He takes up his station by the window along from her. Beatrice hands Arabella a book and nudges her to go and sit down. Her eyes are sympathetic and it alerts Arabella that she is being read by everyone.

She takes a seat on an elegant chaise and begins to read. Soon enough she puts the book down and stands to get a new one. Alice looks up from her own book and raises an eyebrow. "Is the book not to your liking, Lady Arabella?"

"It is filled with foolishness." Arabella replies as she traces the titles of the books one by one. "It is a book that creates unrealistic ideals in women." She continues as she finds a more acceptable book of romance between two royals of opposing families. Hunter strolls over and picks up the book she had been reading and returns to his former position. He reads the title and the description. An unsettled frown draws his brows down and together.

He places the book down on a table.

"You do not agree?" Arabella finds herself asking.

"No, I do not. My Lady." Hunter answers. "Women fighting and taking positions to protect those they care about is not foolishness." Arabella places a hand on her hip.

"It is too dangerous for women to take such roles." She replies adamantly.

"Perhaps for some women." Hunter quickly retorts. Orion sighs but does not intrude. "But certainly not for all."

"Lady Sparrow of Usani is a warrior." Arisxandre pipes up. She never looks up from her book. "I do not think you would hold the idea that it is unrealistic if you met her. She is a formidable woman." Hunter grins and Arabella wishes to wipe the smile off of Ari's face.

"I heard she acted atrociously when proposed to by a great Lord. Her upbringing and her choices in life did her no favours then." Arabella reacts. "She also stole your betrothed on your wedding day. I hold no respect for a woman like that."

Hunter bites down on his cheek until the bitter taste of iron fills his mouth. Alice watches with wide eyes.

"Yes she did." Ari responds cheerfully. "And yet I hold the utmost respect for her." She lifts her gaze from her book for barely a second to look in Arabella's direction. "May I suggest, My Lady, to get hold of the full facts before developing a strong opinion one way or another? Perhaps even meet some of these women who are destined for greatness in protecting their people and keeping their independence. Not all of us wish to get married and be wives to great men."

"Not that there is anything wrong with that. To be a wife and a mother are great privileges." Mary interjects.

Ari bows her head in acknowledgement, "Of course. Forgive me, I did not mean to belittle that way of life. Both of the paths we can go down will bring us many rewards and challenges."

Arabella finds herself saying, "I shall have to do more research," as she sees the look of approval that Hunter gives Ari. She wants to impress him too. She goes over to him and holds out her hand for the book she had discarded. He hands it over to her, their fingers brushing. His eyes darken as fire ignites, travelling from the fingers across the hand and up their arms. He retracts his hand the moment the book is safely in her grasp. His gaze however, stays on her as she goes back to the chaise and tries to read again. The tingles on her neck refuse to let up and she cannot focus.

Then all of a sudden that feeling evaporates and a quick flick of the eyes and she sees his attention has left her. He gazes out of the window with a look of consternation. Ari is also looking out and then she gasps and rises. "Orion!" She calls and he immediately goes to her side.

His face pales and he turns sharply to Hunter. "Stay here and make sure Lady Arabella never leaves this room." He orders before running from the room. Alice is quick in following him. Beatrice, Mary and Arabella slowly rise, unsure as to whether they want to see the reason for Orion's alarm. Ari's book falls to the floor, forgotten, as she watches the sight below with uneasiness. This pushes Beatrice and Mary to her side and they gasp, their hands shooting up to cover their mouths. Beatrice turns away and leans her forehead against the cool wall beside it, her eyes shut. Hunter snaps to attention and guides her away from the window and makes her sit on a chair facing away.

Mary squeezes Ari's shoulder. "Come, you do not need to watch this." She softly tells the younger woman. Ari shakes her head but lifts her hand to pat Mary's hand.

"I appreciate your concern but I have seen much worse." Her tone is empty displaying how true her words are.

Arabella finally goes to the window and looks out. Mary, within seconds, is by her side. "My Lady..." Her voice fades away as Arabella looks down on her betrothed and a group of at least six injured men and at least twelve uninjured assisting. Theodore waves Orion away as he runs to him. He grimaces and returns to holding his shoulder which is covered in fresh blossoming blood. Orion ignores his protests and orders the men to lift the prince. The Crown Prince sharply replies and the men back away.

Orion ushers him inside to get him seen to. The rest of the injured men are either laid out on the grass or being helped along as they hop on legs with large gashes. Sick rises to the back of Arabella's throat. The pain displayed below is numbing. Even from this distance she sees the light fade from one man's eyes as he takes his final breath. Arabella presses her eyelids tightly closed as she reaches out to grip the wall to keep herself standing.

Hunter's warm steady hands take her arms and he guides her away from the window and places her down beside Beatrice with Mary's help. He rubs her arms and for the first time there are no sparks. "Arabella...Arabella!" He calls out to her. His fingers tighten their grip around her arms, pain trying to push the images out of her mind. "Miss Litt, see if you can help her." Suddenly his warmth has gone and coldness envelopes her. Her eyes flutter open and she sees Hunter at the window looking out.

"Lady Arabella, Theodore will be fine and the men will receive the best care possible." Mary assures her.

Ari stands and softly makes her way to the door. Her hand is on the door handle when his voice breaks the unnatural stillness that has draped the room. "Where do you think you are going?"

Ari turns the handle as she answers, "Your orders were to keep Lady Arabella here. I am going to see what I can do to assist." She would have fled if he did not reach her in a few long strides. He grabs her arm.

"We do not yet know what happened. There is no way I am letting you go into danger." Hunter states. 

Thoughts?...Are Arabella and Hunter still well matched or are we starting to see cracks? What has happened to Theodore and his men? Does Arabella care? Next chapter should be very interesting...