Finally (Part 22)

Start from the beginning

"Yes. I know. I'm sorry, I tried to get out of it but it's really important. I leave tomorrow morning and even though Steve said it won't take too long I said I have to be back if it gets to your due date."

"But Bucky what if the baby comes before then? I don't want you to miss it again," you say frantically.

"I don't want to either," he says hoarsely and places a hand on your extended belly. "I'm so sorry. I'm going to do everything I can to be back here quickly. All I want from you is to stay calm and relaxed and not stressed."

"Okay," you whimper, tears springing to your eyes. "Just please be careful."

"You be careful too."

"I love you Buck."

"I love you too doll," he whispers before smashing his lips to yours.

Bucky's POV:

That night as (Y/N)'s frail body curls up against my chest in the darkness, shivering with feverish symptoms after having just thrown up again, I realise just how terrible and nervous I feel about leaving her now, when she needs me more than ever.

"Promise me things weren't this bad with Isla when I wasn't here?" I murmur into her hair and press a kiss on her head, running my hand up and down her back as I hold her close.

Considering she's heavily pregnant, she seems so small and dainty and - dare I say it - weak like this.

"It wasn't. This is the worst one yet." She stutters, her body freezing as I try to warm her up.

I cringe. If it was hard when she was alone last time, how will she cope this time when it's even worse?

Your POV:

You spend the next week just trying to focus on sticking to your daily routine and not think about the fact that Bucky is currently fighting who knows who doing who knows what and ignore how miserable you constantly feel.

Get up, get the kids ready, walk Luke to school, spend the day looking after Isla and sleeping, pick Luke up, organise the kids and get dinner ready, sleep. That's pretty much what your life consists of.

Finally one morning Peggy rings you to say that she heard from Steve and they'll be back by this afternoon. Luckily you haven't gone into labour yet. It's still a few days before your due date so who knows how much longer it might even be, not that you even want it to be any longer.

You wait to tell the kids together so when you pick Luke up and tell both of them they are ecstatic. Today you've been feeling particularly uncomfortable and once you're home you just can't quite bring yourself to make dinner just yet. You just want to rest and relax for a bit.

With Luke sitting at the table doing his homework and Isla contently playing with her toys, you find yourself lying down for a few minutes. Except the thing is that the only way you can get comfortable is to lie on the ground for some reason.

"Mummy what are you doing?" Isla giggles.

"I'm just uncomfortable and tired baby girl, just having a little rest." You grunt as you roll around a little and massage your protruding stomach.

"Okay, you look silly." She laughs.

You shoot her a playful look and she just giggles. "I don't care." You quirk an eyebrow at her.

You lay there for a few minutes and try to stretch out, massage yourself, anything to release the tension in your body. In fact your so exhausted that you almost forget that Bucky's coming home. Until the door swings open.

"I'm baaaack!" He sings cheerily.

"Daddy!" Both the kids screech even more excited then usual and leap up to see him.

"You're back!" Luke exclaims.

"I missed you so much dadda!" Isla squeals.

"I know guys I missed you too, I missed you so much I couldn't wait to come home!" He sighs happily a huge smile on his face as he kisses and squeezes them.

You watch them happily, unable to bring yourself to get up. But then he sees you and he nearly drops the kids.

"Babe what's wrong?" He gasps and puts them down, rushing over to you. "Are you okay?"

"I just want this baby oooouuut." You groan and pout.

"Oh my god." He huffs in relief but then chuckles. "Don't do that to me! I thought something was wrong."

"I'm sick of feeling like this."

"Doesn't she look funny daddy?" Isla giggles.

"Shut up you," you tease.

"Don't worry doll, I'm here now so you'll feel better." He smirks.

"No I won't because the peace is gone," you shoot back but put your hand out for him to help you up.

He pulls you up and embraces you in a hug, pressing his lips to yours.

"I love you doll, I missed you so much," he whispers in your ear.

"You too Buck. I'm glad you're back in time," you mumble into his chest.