Chapter 3

Ella's P.O.V. 

"Alex, what-" I say getting truly worried and then I look past his shoulder to see a gun being fired. I look back up at him, hearing the gun shot, and just in time to see his face contort in pain.

----------------

"Alex!" I scream as he falls to the ground. I try my best to catch him but I didn't have much time to react. I lay him down on the ground as best as I can. 

"Oh god." I breathe and with shaky hands, I move him as gingerly as I can and place his head on my lap. I look down and see a pool of blood forming.  

"No, no, no, no." I repeat over and over willing time to go back and this to not have happened. I look up at the entrance to the garden and the person who fired the shot was gone. I look back down at Alex and he's looking up at me. 

"Don't you dare go anywhere Shanton." I demand and he softly smiles. 

"Wouldn't dream of it." He replies and then starts coughing. I reach my shaky hand up to brush away a piece of hair away from his face but a streak of blood is left. That's when I truly start to panic. 

"Somebody help please!" I desperately scream towards the castle, "help." I say again but this time a lot softer and the tears are freely flowing. I know that blood is getting on my dress but I don't care. 

"Don't cry El. I'm going to be fine." He says and then groans in pain. I let a sob out and squeeze his hands. 

I hunch over so my forehead is resting against his. I stay like this just listening to his breathing. I sit up as I hear running footsteps. I place one of my hands on under his head and try to get myself under control.

"Your highness!" Some of the guards exclaim as they run around the corner and see us two. Sara is closely following and she comes to a immediate stop when she sees us. Her face goes white and I can see tears forming as she shakes her head. 

"Please, help him." I beg through my tears. They nod and approach. Sara beats them all to me and pulls me into a hug. She looks at Alex and starts crying. The guards pick him up and rush off into the direction of the infirmary. Sara helps me stand and then leads me back to my room. We take the back secret way that only Alex, Sara and I know about. I reach up to my star necklace that I haven't taken off. I feel more tears fall and I don't attempt to stop them. We reach my room and the second Sara closes the doors behind us, sobs rack my body. Sara pulls me into a hug and doesn't let go despite my broken sobs. 

"Ella, ella, breathe. What happened." She asks as she eventually lets go. I Shake my head not thinking that I can trust my words just now. She leads me over to the closet so we can change. I pick a simple forest green dress that is comfortable. I undo the pins in my hair so it falls in curls around my face. I walk over to the sink in my room and watch his blood rinse off of my hands. I don't look at myself in the mirror not wanting to see my tear stained cheeks. I look back at Sara who has also changed. She put the dress I let her used back in the closet and turns to my red dress.

"Burn it." I say and go and sit in my favorite chair. 

"You sure? We could try and fix it. I saw your face when you saw it for the first time El." She says and I just shake my head as a few more tears leak out. She gives me a sad smile and nods. She places it over in the corner so someone can take care of it later. She sits on the bed and sighs. 

"Can you tell me what happened?" She asks, her emotions leaking through. After all, Alex is her long time friend too. I take a breath and curl my knees up to my chest. I unknowingly play with my necklace as I think.