A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Seventeen

Start from the beginning

We travelled through a couple of tunnels and few more turns upslope. The mountain turned entirely into a skiing paradise as the residential houses ceased. There were many people out on the snow skiing - some beginners and some advanced. There were also people on the ski lift as they returned uphill.

The boys got off at Murren after a reminder from Harry to meet back at Wengen as well as a quick squeeze on the arm by Zayn.

"Enjoy yourselves!" I yelled as I waved out of the window.

They did not reply. They were probably too awed by the snow.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Colin asked in his quiet voice as he marvelled at the majestic Alpine sight before us.

"Definitely," I nodded.

"Are you sure you are not going to ski?" he chuckled.

"Are you sure you are not going to ski?" I shot the question back at him.

He laughed before shaking his head, “No, I’m sure,” he said firmly.

“You know how to ski right?” I asked.

He shrugged, “But I don’t feel like skiing today.”

The Lauterbrunnen bahn arrived at the top of Jungfraujoch after some ten minutes in the tunnel with nothing to see. Colin helped me down the train as we headed toward the observatory deck.

He gave me a quick look over before heading to the small shop. I eyed him curiously, wondering what he was off to buy.

“What’s that?” I asked him when he returned with a bottle can.

“Portable oxygen,” he showed me. “Just in case.”

“Whatever for?”

“The air tends get thinner higher up. We might need it,” he explained. “Besides, I thought you looked a little de-oxygenated.”

I looked at him in wonder. Actually, I did feel a little disoriented when we started down the short passageway from where we alighted. I thought it must be an effect of the long bahn train. Now that he mentioned it, it could be due to the lower percentage of oxygen up here. Besides, I had history of hypotension which often resulted in faint spells.

“Thanks,” I said gratefully.

“Here. Take a puff first before we proceed.” He helped me with the can as he placed in gently over my mouth. “Take a deep breath.”

I did as he instructed and immediately I felt better.

He did the same for himself before putting away the can. “Now, we are ready to go.”

We came to a crossroad at the stairway.

“Where would you like to go?” he asked.

I looked at the direction signs. Down to the Ice Palace. Up to the Observatory Deck.

“Down?” I offered.

“Sure,” he smiled.

A blue revolving door opened to reveal a blue stairway and the rocky vaulted roof above us changed into a glacier. The thousand metres square cavern was minus three degrees centigrade as it held ice sculptures. I marvelled at the ice igloos, ice penguins, ice bears and even an ice tunnel. The ground was slippery as the handle bars were freezing cold. At one turn, I nearly missed my foot when Colin caught me by my arm.

“Be careful!” he warned. After that, he refused to let go off my hand.

A round through the cavern got me used to the altitude and I was ready to hit the open. As we headed back to the crossroad of stairs, I stopped to rub my hands to keep them warm. My hands and feet tend to get cold easily and since I only brought along a pair of thin gloves, it hardly kept me warm.