Rendezvous in the Rose Garden

Start from the beginning

After thinking about it, I decided to join her outside. Grabbing my blazer and tossing it over my shoulders, I headed out quietly into the rose garden.

It was a quick walk, the wind hit me slightly, leaving me feeling a little cold. I took my blazer and quickly put it on before reaching the garden.

"I always thought it was prettier at night." I said in a hushed tone. She froze immediately before turning around.

"I know I'm not supposed to be here, I'll leave." She said back in a clipped tone. Before she could dash off like she had done these past two weeks, I stepped in front of her. Blocking her pathway.

"Carrie." I whispered.

"Yes, Mr President." She uttered back. I chuckled and shook my head while I looked towards the heavens.

"That's not fair." I said. "That's not fair, Carrie." I repeated while pacing around the garden.

"Pardon?" She whispered. I could feel her eyes on my back as I paced around the garden, just like she had.

"You can't make me feel the way you did that night, and then leave me cold." I uttered. I turned around towards her and saw her wide eyes staring at me.

"It's...just..that." She stuttered on her words, not knowing what to say.

"It's just what?" I asked, raising my eyebrows towards her. She started walking towards me before stopping as she shook her head.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Sir." She said bluntly.

I immediately scoffed and walked towards her.
"Don't lie to me or yourself, you're smarter than that. You graduated from Harvard for god's sake." I said, each word I took a step closer to her.

"You're telling me you don't feel this." My voice was hushed now, we were so close that I could feel the heat radiating from her skin. It was the first time since the state dinner that I had gotten to properly speak to her.

"Look me in the eye and tell me you don't feel it." I challenged her while hovering over her.

"I...Mike" she whispered. Every time she uttered my name, it sounded like sweet music to my ears. She backed away from me and paced to the other side of the garden.

"I can't do this." She said while sticking her hands out.

"There, I can't do this." She said finally admitting and opening up to me.

"Can't do what?" I asked her, I stuck my hands in my pockets waiting for an answer.

"This dating thing. I can't date the leader of the free world. I can't. It would ruin my career and I can't be in the magazines and the tabloids. I just won't have it." She uttered. I could see her getting more and more flustered as she spoke.

"You're also unavailable." She added.

"Says who?" I inquired.

"Says Ashley Campbell" she stated.

"Oh so this is about Ashley now." I jested.

"No..no! This about me and you." She said.

"I am your secretary." She turned around to face away from me and she rubbed her hands across her arms. The wind was blowing slightly and I could see the goosebumps raise on her arm.

I took my blazer off quietly and walked towards her before placing it on her shoulders.

"Yes, I am very aware of that" I smirked.
She wrapped herself in my blazer tightly before smiling at me.

"You are the president." She said once again.

"I am aware of that too." I said in the same tone.

"Do you know how much of a scandal that would be?" She pondered. She turned back towards me and she looked me in the eye.

"Why would it be? We're two adults that are single that happen to like each other's company." I explained.

I could see her resolve fade slightly as she leaned into me more and more as the wind blew.

"I like you. Let's just take this one step at a time. Let's not think too far forward and just enjoy it. Forget about the tabloids or whatever. Just go on that date with me." I asked sweetly. I placed my hand on the side of her cheek and smiled at her.

"The re-election campaign is coming up soon." She said.

"Exactly, so we better do it quick before we run out of time." I smirked at her as she giggled.

"One step at a time?" She whispered.

"One step at a time." I mumbled back. I leant down and placed my forehead on hers. Her hands were resting on my chest before I pulled her in for a warm embrace.

"Mike." She whispered, causing me to pull out of the hug and look at her.

"After all this trouble, you better make it a good date." She mumbled. I let out a loud chuckle before pulling her back into the embrace.

"Don't worry, it'll be the best one you've ever been on" I added.