Rendezvous in the Rose Garden

MIKE'S POV

It has been 2 weeks since the state dinner, 2 weeks since I've gotten to speak to Carrie properly. Every time I would attempt conversation she would quickly cut me off and get back to work. She was back to being professional. Not once had she hinted towards that date that I had asked her about at the state dinner. To say it was disappointing was an understatement.

However, in those two weeks, Ashley had been visiting the office more and more frequently. I had soon gotten used to her boisterous personality, becoming more acquainted with her mannerisms and way of life. Don't get me wrong, she's a lovely woman. But she's nothing like the woman sitting outside my door.

Last week my campaign for re-election had officially started and next week we would be on the road visiting the states to try and rally votes. I needed a secretary with me, while one stayed here. Ivey quickly volunteered to stay here, leaving Carrie to be on the road with me. Ivey's reasoning being she gets 'travel sick.'

CARRIE'S POV

"Are you kidding me, Ivey?! You don't get travel sick!" I whispered to her as the President closed his door.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked her seriously.

"Carrie, you and I both know what you feel for the President. And I can tell you he feels the same way." She leaned in and whispered to me.

"He's got Ashley, I can't interfere with that." I sighed to myself.

"She's nothing compared to you in his books." She smiled and walked back over to her desk to carry on working.

I worked throughout the afternoon trying to keep my mind off the uneasy feeling in my stomach.

Hell, I can't even last 30 seconds alone with the President, how am I supposed to do it for weeks on end? Buckle up, Underwood. You're in for a wild ride.

Time went on and the afternoon had turned into the evening. The sun had just dipped below the horizon line in Washington DC. Ivey was long gone, and I was still sat in my chair.

Needing to stretch my legs, I found myself wandering aimlessly around the West Wing. I suddenly found myself in a courtyard, from which I could distinctly recognise the sweet smell of roses.

I followed the scent which led me straight to the rose garden. At night, the rose garden had a few dim lights to light the pathway. It was beautiful. I paced around the garden, being sure to smell each rose I passed.

MIKE'S POV:

To sum up today in three words it would be: paperwork, paperwork and paperwork. Just stacks and stacks of paper on my desk needing to be read through and signed. My eyes were seeing double at this point.

Needing to get some blood flowing around my body, I stood up and wandered around the Oval Office. I ended up at the window, looking out towards the courtyard and the rose garden.

I saw a figure wandering around the rose garden, I almost rushed to call secret service. Until I saw the colour of her hair, as she moved towards the dim lights. I caught a glimpse of her pale skin and hair, good lord.

Night had fallen on DC, yet I could recognise the colour of her hair instantly. I watched her for a while (creepy, I know) as she explored the garden. I watched as she smelt every single rose she passed, the way she closed her eyes and tilted her head back slightly after smelling the roses.