#12

Colby felt a painful burn in his eyes.

He knew it all too well, it meant tears. But he wasn't about to let himself cry in front of Sam. “Wow,” he started, trying his best to sound exasperated from excitement rather than utter heartbreak, “Sam, that's amazing. I’m so happy for you.” No I’m not. “I can't believe you didn't tell me sooner! How long…?” Colhy wasn't really sure if he actually wanted to know, but he needed to appear like a good, interested friend.

“Um, a...a week. Ish.” The older replied, fiddling with his fingers.

“I’m happy for you.”

That was all the brunette said before he was pretending he had some dire editing to do in that moment. It took every ounce of restraint not to sprint off to his room and slam the door.

_____________________

Colby couldn't tell if he was being quiet or not. He was crying, sobbing. He felt like he was about to break down the middle. He gasped for air.

Colby, I got engaged to Katrina.

Sam loved him. He'd heard him say it. However, he'd chose her over him. Always her over him. Now he’d gone off and decided to marry her. Colby’s heart clenched painfully at that thought.

He rubbed his burning eyes with the heels of his hand, blinking away the bleariness the action brought. He knew he needed to calm down and think about this. His brows furrowed. They’ve been dating for a little over a year. Is that not too fast to get engaged? Why didn't Sam... Colby’s eyes widened and his heart began to  pound painfully hard. Does this mean he's moving out?

Colby grit his teeth and tugged at his hair, feeling all the stress and sadness come flooding back into his system. How is he gonna go off an get engaged to her before moving out!? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Was he really that desperate to marry her? Nothing was adding up in his head, and he for sure felt a migraine coming on, but the way Sam's mind was working right now was confusing Colby to no end.

If he said he loves me, does he love Katrina, too? He has to… or maybe he's lying to one of us.

Colby cried all over again.

_____________________

Colby trudged to the bathroom after he's finished bawling like a heartbroken teenager, hoping he wouldn't run into Sam along the way.

But, of course, every deity there is hates him.

Just as he's reached the bathroom door, Sam was shutting it. He was toweling his hair, a nicer outfit on. They both look away from each other.

“Katrina’s?”

“Yeah. Have you been crying?” Sam looked back up to Colby’s face.

The brunette rubbed his eyes a little, placing his hands over his cheeks. “No… uh, it's nothing.” He shoved past his flatmate and into the bathroom where he locked the door.

The air was still heavy with steam and smelled like the shampoo and cologne Sam used. Colby felt like he was suffocating. The mirror had already cleared up and as soon as he caught sight of his appearance, Colby cringed.

He looked pale, but his face was also blotchy red with swollen eyes. Not only were they swelled up, but sunken and tired. It was a terrible combination. He looked sick. Colby washed his face slowly, realizing just how shaky his hands were now. He really needed to get a hold of himself.

He needed to remember to everyone else, Sam was just his flatmate and close friend. He could explain a few tears of as him just “being so happy for his best friend”, but the sobbing for hours and shaking and feeling sick to his stomach at the thought of this whole thing…