Intro

Growing up, Jaime Reyes' parents always expected him to become a doctor or a dentist, ensuring a stable future for himself and his family

Growing up, Jaime Reyes' parents always expected him to become a doctor or a dentist, ensuring a stable future for himself and his family. Jaime studied hard, wanting that goal as well, but that didn't mean he didn't have time for his friends, Brenda Del Vecchio, Paco Testas, and Tye Longshadow, or his little sister, Milagro. One of their favorite pastimes was riding their skateboards around their hometown of El Paso.

One night, Jaime was heading home, and cut across the parking lot of the Kord Technologies building to save time. When he was almost through, the top of the building exploded, and Jaime found a piece of one of Kord's experiments that had been thrown into the parking lot during the explosion. It was blue, shaped like a bug, about the size of his hand. When he picked it up, it crawled up his arm and attached itself to Jaime's back, forming a suit of blue and black armor around his body.

He told his family, of course, and Paco, who "helped" him establish his identity as El Paso's new resident hero, a whole-new Blue Beetle, since the old one wasn't showing up anymore.

Jaime only did a few small heroing things, since he was a little anxious when using the suit, since it could talk to him. Wonder Girl and Nightwing visited him in El Paso to invite Blue Beetle to join a team of Covert Operatives under the Justice League's wing. It was then that Jaime found out that Ted Kord, the previous Blue Beetle, was dead. 

For Kord's sake, Jaime agreed to join the team and be a hero for his family, his friends, his city, and soon enough, the world.