Chapter 2

Ella's P.O.V. 

"I mean, he's just so boring!" I complain to Sara as she is doing my hair in a braided up-do. 

"What did you two talk about?" She asks as she places the final pin in my hair and reaches for my tiara. 

"Nothing special. He did ask about Alex though." I answer and Sara raises an eyebrow. I have to take a second so I don't get mad again. I sigh as Sara places my silver tiara on the top of my head. It feels especially heavy tonight. 

"He asked if he was a prince and when I said no, he got all puffed up and seemed happy. He asked why Alex was here and I don't know, it just struck a nerve. He can never be the man that Alex is. He is so bland and Alex is so, so, I don't know. Better." I say and the whole time I'm talking a smile grows on Sara's face. "What?"

"Oh nothing. I just knew it." She says with a smug smile on her face. I turn around and raise my eyebrow at her. 

"You like him. Alex." Sara says with a smile.

"What?" No I don't! Well I do as a friend..." I say and my words die off. I don't like him like that do I? 

"Maybe. I don't know. The thing is that I can't get attached to him in any way other than a friend because I am apparently going to be married off like some item to join kingdoms within a year I'm expecting. I can't act on any feeling towards him, that I may or may not even have, because I'm practically engaged to someone already!" I say frustrated and feeling hopeless. Even if I do like Alex in that way, there is no scenario where it would ever happen between us. I sigh and stand up, giving Sara a small smile. She mirrors me and then pulls me into a hug. 

"This whole marriage thing is stupid. We'll figure a way out of it." Sara says and then pulls back from the hug. She fixes a strand of hair and then walks over to my closet across the room and pulls open the large wooden doors. 

"You at least have to look amazing though." She says with a mischievous smile. I raise an eyebrow in curiosity because I haven't seen my dress for the ball yet. She slowly pulls back a silk curtain and I gasp. I squeal like a little girl and run over. 

The dress is a ballgown that is crimson red with a high neckline that stops just below my collarbone. There are long sleeves that end at a point on my wrist. And that's just the front. I walk around the back still smiling and my jaw drops. The back is completely open and plunges down to just above the small of my back. The skirt is made out of satin and has a short train. The top, in contrast, is all lace. There are small diamonds scattered across the lace making it seem like there were stars hand placed on the red background. I start to almost cry and Sara pulls me into a tight hug. 

"I love it. Please tell me that you are going?" I ask her while still hugging her. She pulls back and gives me a small smile. 

"I would absolutely love to Ella but I just don't have anything to wear and I'm not sure I would be welcomed because its going to be all royalty." She says and then heads over to the dress and starts taking it off of the stand. I shake my head and turn to my other dresses that I have. We're basically the same size so whatever worked for me can work for her. I find a pale blue dress that is not as big as my ball gown but there is still a full skirt. It has a sweetheart neckline with a corset back. There is a waistband that is covered in diamonds that ties into a bow in the back. The whole dress is made out of organza and it flows so well. I take it down and turn to look at her while holding the dress. 

"Oh you're going. You'll wear this. I so need someone on my side that I can judge anyone that I meet tonight. Oh and also, you're like my best friend here so, yeah." I say and hand it out to her. She looks at me and smiles. She walks over and takes the dress carefully from me.