I'm about to ask more-- and I think Bob notices this as his jaw tenses and he stares me down-- but before the words can leave my lips, Beatrice is sauntering into the kitchen. She beams when she sees Bob and I together, probably pleased that I haven't yet retreated back into my new bedroom.

Bob takes advantage of the distraction and picks up an apple from one of the baskets. Rubbing it on his pants, he meets my gaze one last time before swiftly taking a bite.

Beatrice reaches across the island, landing a smack to the back of Bob's head, who promptly begins choking on the apple. "Serves you right," The woman smirks, feigning a disapproving scowl. "Dinner will be ready at six. Don't eat too much. And cover your mouth when you choke."

Bob rolls his eyes, but grins regardless and raises a hand to abide. I shift again, feeling uncomfortable suddenly as Beatrice's gaze lands on me. Her smile saddens and I nearly grimace. I can tell exactly what she's thinking as her thoughts play plainly across her face. I don't need, nor do I want, her pity.

Before she has the chance to open her mouth, I interrupt. "I'm kind of tired," I lie easily. "Would you mind if I laid down for a bit?"

Beatrice hesitates before the corners of her mouth lift and she nods. "Of course." She turns to the counter, grabbing various objects. I think she just wants something to do with her hands. Hmm. Maybe she's just as wary about this entire situation as I am. "Dinner will be ready by six," She repeats her previous statement, not even looking back at me. "Shall I have someone get you before then?"

I shake my head before realizing she can't see me, adding a quiet, "No, thank you."

Beatrice nods in understanding. Turning to face me again, she fumbles with a wooden spoon. "Alright. Well, the kitchen is always open."

"Okay." I don't know what to say, feeling more awkward by the second, and turn on my heels to leave. I want to make a run for the front door, see if I can catch up with the detectives and demand they take me somewhere else or maybe just head straight for the hospital and beg Ray to rethink pushing me out of a window. But, in the end, I just wander through the seemingly vacant house, easily retracing the steps that Bob and I took not so long ago. When I reach the door at the end of the hall, I hesitate. As I turn the knob, I can't help but glance at the room across my own. Studying the picture again, I sigh. I could just knock. I could see if this Gee kid answers and just ask what the damn photo means. But I can't. I can't bring myself to do it.

When I shut the door behind me, moving my still-unpacked suitcase to the floor, I lay down on the bed. I have to admit, the mattress is measurably more comfortable than the hospitals, and the sheets here smell like flowers instead of bleach.

Even though I don't feel tired, as soon as my head hits the pillow, I find myself exhausted and overtaken by sleep.

•••

Holy hell. What time is it?

I roll over on the bed, groaning and cautiously opening my eyes. There was still a good amount of daylight peeking in through the pale green curtains when I had come in here, but now, I can see nothing in the calm darkness. Something to my left catches my eye and I follow the dim red light to where an alarm clock flickers with the current time. 

Three in morning.

Great. 

I rub a hand across my face, willing sleep to engulf me again, but have no such luck. I'm awake. And my stomach is hungry. Standing up, I stretch, tugging absently at the jeans that cling uncomfortably to my body. Note to self: Don't sleep in denim, dumbass. I pull the door open, trying my best to be quiet, knowing that everyone else is probably sleeping.