Chapter 18~ Brave Faces

Start from the beginning

"It's okay Midnight," I said, my voice cracking a bit from misuse, "I've been out for a while now. He has a right to be happy."

She suddenly looked away, as if she was embarrassed. There were purple circles underneath her bloodshot eyes and her hair was an absolute mess.

"Midnight Lilly don't be embarrassed!" I scolded playfully, "Help me up and give me a hug! You've been taking care of me for days."

She smiled and then jumped into the bed, lifting me up slightly giving me a careful hug. I hugged her back, wincing a little from the soreness once my muscles.

"Hey!" he pouted, his bottom lip jutting out dramatically, "What about me?"

"What?" I asked, "You need an invitation?"

He beamed and joined in on the hug fest. He pulled me into his arms and sat me on his lap, ignoring the disapproving glare from Midnight and cradling me gently just like when I woke up in his arms on the day that we met. My joints creaked as I moved but it thankfully didn't hurt too badly.

I smiled up at him. I had really missed looking into his eyes. He didn't look much better than Midnight. His finger nails were bitten to bloody stubs, his hair was much messier than usual, a sign of him pulling his hair nervously, his eyes were red from crying and exhaustion. I felt bad for putting him through that but it wasn't really my fault that I couldn't wake up. I cupped the side of his face and rubbed the dark circles underneath his eye with my thumb.

"I missed you," he said.

"I missed you too," I replied.

He gave me a gentle kiss on the forehead and I felt a shiver go through my entire body. It was like it finally woke up.

Then we heard someone walk in and it all stopped abruptly.

We turned to see Pudge standing at the doorway with a shocked expression on his face.

There was an awkward silence as we all stared at him and he stared at us. Then a smile slowly crept onto his face.

Suddenly he screamed and flung himself onto the bed, "MAMA'S AWAKE! MAMA'S AWAKE!"

Then two heads popped into the doorway.

"She's awake?"

"She's awake!"

The twins ran in, followed by Finn, Curly, Tubby, Patt, Freckles, Jax, Tommy, Joey and Slightly. Everyone piled onto the bed and cheered happily that I was awake.

"You're up!"

"So glad you're back!"

"You look terrible!"

"I think she looks gorgeous!"

"Kiss up!"

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"I missed you Mum!"

"I missed her more!"

"No you didn't! I did!"

"No way!"

"That's a bunch of cod fish!"

"Is not!"

"Is too!"

"Is not!"

"Is too!"

"Love you Mumzy!"

And so on.

I gave each of them a kiss on the forehead and a hug before Peter shouted out over the ruckus and ordered all of them off of the bed and to get ready for dinner before they ended up hurting me again. They grumbled and left the room.