chapter 1

ELODIE'S muscles groaned at her as she stepped off of the wooden carriage

ELODIE'S muscles groaned at her as she stepped off of the wooden carriage. She reached up to grab her leather cases and tugged them off the ledge, the force tugging on her slim figure slightly. She looked from the dirt ground up to the large manor in front of her. The white shutters shone brightly in the streaming sunlight that beat down on the lush, green countryside. The walls of the house were painted in a dusty green, that faded countryside look, she assumed. The fences were a light wood and traced an outline around the land. The sky was completely clear and the air smelled like freshly cut grass and pollen, itching at the girl's button nose.

"You ready to go in?" Elodie's shoulders leapt up at the sudden deep voice in her ear. She turned to look at her brother, Claude. He was tall and broad, with a strong build, from years of farm work and childhood sports. His eyes were the same brown as hers and had the same olive skin tone. She wondered how two people could look so alike but be so different. When he looked to face her, his eyes held a warm tone, trying to cheer her up.

"How could I? We don't belong here." Elodie's sad eyes met his and almost instantaneously made Claude's joyous atmosphere fizzle away. Both parties felt guilty, Elodie for ruining her brother's hope and Claude for the whole affair and how it was affected his dear sister. The pair grabbed the rest of the bags and walked to the door, where two people stood on the porch. The first was a woman in her late fourties. Her hair was blond and pulled back into a sleek bun. The smile on her round, chubby face was genuine. The other was a man, his arm was wrapped around her shoulders. His hair was a dark black but was starting to fade around his roots. While still genuine, he seemed a little less abrasive in his excitement. They walked up the dirt path.

"El, you could, at least, fake a smile." Claude grimaced.

"Don't worry, Claude, I won't embarrass us in front of our new family. I know you don't care about my happiness." She hummed.

Claude sighed at her attitude. "You know I'm trying here, we haven't exactly been the luckiest people in the world in these last few years. Please just work with me."

Their bitter conversation was forced to end as they had reached the wooden steps that led up to where the couple had stood. The woman stepped forward and held a hand out.

"Good day! You are very welcome to Harrier Manor. My name is Cassandra Terence and this is my husband, Nathaniel." Her movements were terribly animated and almost gave Elodie whiplash just trying to follow which way they were moving to next.

Claude stepped forward, shaking the lady's hand gently. "Lovely to make your acquaintance. I'm Claude and this is my younger sister, Elodie. Thank you so much for taking us in. We cannot show our gratitude enough."

"Oh, no, thank you! We've always wanted children and well, you're the closest we've ever gotten!" At least she was honest, if a little kooky.

They led the children up the creaky stairs to their rooms. They placed their bags down before Cassandra and Claude made their way downstairs. However, Nathaniel stayed behind, watching the girl as she stared out the window. Her eyes didn't stay in one place like she was gazing - it was like she was a school inspector; sharp glances at any movement that occurred in the large fields of Harrier Manor.