Chapter 3

Ok everyone here is chapter 3. Just a warning it is rather dark.

Feel free to comment and let me know what you think.

Watcher’s Story Chapter 3

The funeral pyre slowly burned itself out. As I stared at the remains of the pack, my mind slowly started working over exactly how I was going to make these rogues pay. For most of my life I had been content to watch, stand back and let events play themselves out, taking action in only the most severe instances. In all the times I had involved myself it was always to remove a specific individual or two, not this time. This time the entire pack was going to pay.

Walking into the forest, I began to search for the remains of the rogue I had flung off of Aeron’s corpse. My wolf howled in rage over the injustice done to that little girl and tried taking over once again. It was tempting to allow him but not this time. This wasn’t going to be some random rage driven revenge. I was going to hunt down and destroy every last one of the rogues, no matter how long it took me. Locating the corpse was not easy. While the scent was one I could easily track, in my fury I had thrown the body quite far and it had become lodged up in a tree.

To say I was pissed was an understatement, I wanted to examine the body and get another scent and  it was stuck 25 feet in the air. Shifting into my hybrid form I attacked the tree, my  claws quickly ripping through the bark and into the trunk. My assault on the tree was unrelenting. All my rage and anger over the death of the pack poured into that tree. I was so focused, it wasn’t until an earsplitting crack shattered my single minded endeavour. Leaping to the side my reflexes and speed saved me, as the tree came crashing down, right where I had been standing. While I was pretty sure it wouldn’t have killed me, as bad as the last couple of days had been, I didn’t want to add getting crushed by a tree to the list.

Ripping the pulped remains of the rogue from the branches of the tree, I gave the remains a good once over and confirmed the smell was the same as before. As much as I would like to claim that is was my throwing the corpse that rendered in such a state, but alas the tree gets that one. Leaving the body, I searched the area to discover what direction they had gone and quickly headed south.

Knowing they had a two day head start, I wanted to cover ground quickly as possible. The trail was easy to find as that many people, even running as wolves, made quite a disturbance in the forest. As I ran, I thought on how I wanted to approach this. Did I want to pick them off one at a time, or let them get comfortable back in whatever hole they had crawled out of and crush them all at once? I had no doubts as to my own strength, in comparison to these modern wolves. None of them would have survived the era I was born in, the wilderness itself would have eaten them alive. I decided I was going to decimate this group of rouges all at once. Keeping a steady pace, I was no longer in as much of a rush to catch them as before.

The rain started on the fourth day out from the village. As it started out slow and gentle, I wasn’t concerned about losing the trail, but as the day progressed the storm grew into a furious maelstrom. I tried to keep going through the storm, but eventually it got be too much even for me and I was forced to seek shelter. I found a small cave in which to hunker down and stew.

The rain continued for several days, and the more it rained the angrier I became. I wanted to catch these rogues, not just sit in a cave watching the rain fall. Finally I’d had enough, I was going to find these rogues, even in the rain if I had to. Leaving the cave I was immediately drenched, which obviously helped to improve my mood immensely, as I am sure you can imagine. Getting my bearings, I headed off in the same general direction as before.

The rain finally stopped around dawn the next day, and I was tired, wet, and miserably angry. My fur hung limp, and I could feel the steam rising from my body as the morning sun cooked the ground. Doing an impression of a vegetable steamer did nothing to improve my mood. I could not remember a time ever being so enraged, and I wanted nothing more than to find and destroy the rogues.