Chapter 31

On the helicopter Emily screamed and kept trying to get to me. In the end they let her lie beside me and attached a strap to secure her. She started to calm. Did she remember me or was she just terrified of men? They tucked a blanket around her and even thought I still had the shackles on my wrists and ankles I felt free too.

My eyes began to drop, “No, stay awake, Melanie,” Sean rubbed my hand. The bandages on my head felt so heavy, the journey too long... Emily’s cries of ‘Mummy’ started and the faces of her rescuers all felt the power of her words. “Don’t you worry baby, we are taking you to your mummy. She sent me to find you. Sorry it took so long.” Sean tried to appease her. “No more bad men, I promise.” Her cries grew louder but soon silenced as the helicopter started to hover and descend. Like she was preparing herself for something or hoping by being silent and tucked into me that she would not be seen.

The minute the rota blades stopped I was lifted out and the legs of the stretcher dropped. Emily clung tight as we were rushed through hospital doors.

“Mel,” I heard James shouting. “Mel!” My mouth was no longer covered, they had used something on the flight to take it off. “James,” I managed to squeak. “MEL!”

“Let him through,” Sean ordered.

I watched James rushed through a crowd of medical staff only to stop in his tracks at the state of me but then his eyes flicked to my side. To his niece. “Oh my god,” he was stunned, his hands flying to the top of his head in shock.

“We got them back,” Sean patted James on the back.

“Shit!” James was unable to move.

“Pass him the kid,” Sean instructed but Emily had other ideas, she clawed at me, screaming. “Shhh baby it’s ok,” I croaked. James rushed over as she was passed to him by two male nurses, she was doing her flying monkey impression. He couldn’t believe it when his arms wrapped around her. Even if she was trying to get free, he closed his eyes and hugged her tight. The relief so evident on his face but so was the horror at spotting my shackles being cut off by a fireman. He was moved out of my eye line.

Lights were being shone in my eyes. My head tilted to the side as they assessed my head injury.

“Do you know where you are?” a doctor asked.

“Hospital.”

“What is your name?”

“Melanie.” I could feel the swell of my lips as I tried to say the word.  

“What day is it Melanie?”

I couldn’t think of an answer.

“Do you know what year it is?”

“2009.”

“No, it’s 2013. Do you know who the president is?”

I couldn’t think of an answer.

“It’s ok, don’t worry,” he smiled at me reassuringly.

“James,” I said for no reason whatsoever as I was still thinking about who the president was.

“He’s here, but you we need to do our job so he waiting over there,” the doctor replied.

I burst into tears. I didn’t mean to I just couldn’t help it.

“Melanie, listen. James is just to the side of you. He isn’t going any where. There just no room at the moment with everything going on. Don’t cry, it’s ok. We are going to assess all your injuries and make you comfortable.”

“I’m wet,” I remembered how Emily had clung to my legs.

“It’s ok, don’t you worry about that. We’ve cut all your clothes off. You have a sheet over you. You are not wet anymore.”

I lay there being poked and prodded as I found it more and more difficult to form a coherent thought, what had they given me. I had no idea how long it was before my sister push through everyone. “Mel!” she rushed to my side. Sean trying to stop her as the medical staff needed room. “I’m ok,” I mumbled. “Don’t be stupid! Look at you,” she burst into tears.

The doctors reassured her I was being treated and all went about their business as she stepped back.

I caught a glimpse of Emily who was still crying in James arms. My sister turned her head and gasped realising who it was. “Oh god, you did it. You clever cow. Hi, baby,” she said reaching out to stroke Emily’s hair. She launched into my sisters arms crying for her mummy. James didn’t mind, he was caught between watching me like a hawk and holding his nieces hand, too scared to let go. My sister reassured him with a pat on his arm and sat on the bed opposite with Emily rocking her like she did with my niece. “Have you told your sister?” she asked James. He shook his head.

“He’s just found out himself,” Sean advised. “We are sending a unit to tell them and fly them over now we have confirmed her ID.”

“Are you tired baby?” my sister whispered rocking Emily but stared at me with concern. She rummaged in her bag and took out a carton of juice she always kept for Molly. Emily’s eyes lit up, she sucked it down in double quick time and nodded when asked if she wanted another one. “Can someone get her some food please?” my sister asked. “I am sure you can assess her better when she is settled.” A nurse rushed off.

My head was so hot, I felt like my eye balls were shaking. It was the weirdest thing.

James spotted a chance to get near me and rushed over. “I’m so sorry,” he looked for somewhere to touch but I was a mess. “I shouldn’t have gone to get the carrier bag. I just didn’t think.”

“Did I meet you at karaoke?” I heard myself say. I couldn’t think straight. What did I just say?

“Can you chase the MRI? I need to see what is going on in her head,” the doctor called out.

“Are you ok sis?” my sister called.

“Toast,” I replied instead of yes... and tutted at myself for getting it wrong. What was happening?

“What the hell?” she said her face paled.

“She has a head injury, it’s confusing her along with the medication we have given her. We are just waiting to get into the scan to see what is going on. Check for swelling or a possible bleed on the brain,” the doctor explained.

I remembered the man hitting me, splitting my head open. Mel, are you feeling ok?” the doctor asked.

I tried to touch my head but was stopped. “Man...”

“Were you hit Mel?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you remember what with?”

“Oww.” I tried to touch my head again. James reached out to stop me. He stood holding my hand as everyone busied themselves and my sister spoon-fed a very hungry Emily who wasn’t taking her eye off James. He kept leaning over to stroke her head. She decided she wanted to hold his hand too.

Sean reappeared. “The family has been told and are on their way.”

“Mummy’s coming,” James said excitedly to Emily. She stared into space for a moment as though remembering something before giving him a thumbs up.

With that I was wheeled away, hoping I didn’t miss Emily’s reunion with her family.