Girl Crush - III

"Come on, Dennise. Answer me."

I tried to dial her number again. But this time it was out of reach. It's already past midnight and I was about to call it a day when I received a message from an unknown number. As I opened the text, an address registered on the screen with Dennise's name at the end.

I replied back making sure if it was really Dennise. And in less than a minute she's been ringing my phone. She sounded drunk and .. sad on the other line which made me worry. She just told me to come while laughing and then hang up.

I don't remember giving my number to Den nor to any of the staffs at the cafe. So it kinda surprised me when she called me tonight. Anyway, it's the least of my concern right now. What matters to me as of this moment is to get to where Dennise's is and check up on her.

It's been a week since I had an earful from Lau. And since then, I never get to see Dennise. Laura and Jovee keep me company after my day at law school. I want to get mad but then I know they're right. I should avoid Dennise at all cost.

And tonight, hearing Dennise, anticipating to see her any minute now, makes my heartbeat doubled and my palms sweating. I am certain she is not fine and I'm glad I'm the one she seeked comfort to. Or so I thought.

--------------------

I arrived at the building and went directly to her unit. I knocked on the wooden door but to my surprise it was creeked open. What the fuck?

I am starting to get nervous. Is this the exact room? Why was it already open?

"Den? It's me. You here?"

Silence welcomed me. And fuck it, i'm sweating hard.

The room was dark and I'm silently looking for any switch. What if something happened to Dennise?!

"Fuck!" I cursed as a I heard a sound of something falling coming from the other room. I fished my phone in my pocket and directing it's light to where I think the noise came.

A hint of light directed my vision. And I have a feeling Den was there. So without delay, I ran towards the room.

I feel my chest tightens at the sight of Dennise sitting on her bed. Headboard supporting her back as she steadies herself to sit. She was drunk. Judging from the empty bottle of vodka on the floor.

I walk near her and sit on the side of her bed. I watch her close and I'm certain she was crying. She was a mess. But compared to the mess I made of myself before, she was a beautiful mess.

"How come you still look beautiful even when you're drunk?" I whispered to her while gently pushing some strands of her hair that are partly covering her face.

My hand stopped and stayed on her cheek. It's the first time I touched her. And it sent chills down my spine. How do you do it, Dennise?

Dennise's eyes fluttered open and I froze on the spot. I didn't realize the proximity of our bodies until now. It was choking me.

"What do you want?" She weakly asked.

"What do you mean?"

She held my hand. The one that's touching her face. I clearly forgot it was still there.

She closed her eyes before she spoke.

"Were it all pretend?"

What? What is she talking about?

She opened her eyes and I was entranced for God knows how many times already. Her eyes held a lot of emotions I can't decode. But one thing I am sure of, there is affection.