Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

All of that crosses his mind in a mere heartbeat, so quickly that he acknowledges very little of it before he is striding forward making his way through the crowd. He chases the image in his mind, catching glimpses of his target ahead every now and again. Ari follows without questions, her eyebrows drawn together in concentration. People may move apart for Hunter's imposing forceful figure but she still has to duck and avoid them as they close in behind him. Hunter's grip is firm and strong over hers assuring her that they will not be separated.

"Oi!" Hunter yells as his target again slips out of view down a tight tiny street between two shops. The people pausing in their positions in wonderment help Hunter and Ari to get through them quickly. "What are you doing here?" He shouts as they get into the tight fitting street. The man does not stop and exits the space on the other side. Hunter slows, listening to see if the mad dash has tired out Ari. Ari, proving him wrong, says chirpily with her breathing completely intact, "Was that who I think it was?"

Hunter nods and slowly they walk through the space and emerge into a quiet street with one lone figure leaning against the wall opposite. He stands calmly, carefully peeling the skin off of an apple with a small blade in one continual spiral. Hunter rolls his eyes. It is typical, just when he decides he cannot be bothered to chase anymore the target decides to taunt him. "I have never in my life seen you move so fast! What on earth are you doing here?" Hunter exclaims.

The skin either side of the man's strange eyes crinkles as he grins. "I came to check on my little brother of course. Good to see you can still run and track. I was worrying this new fancy way of life may have changed you." He says offhandedly. "It is good to see you Hunter."

"You too, Bear." Ari squeezes Hunter's hand and he releases her after a moment has passed. She takes a step back to give the brothers some semblance of privacy. Bear tosses the now perfectly skinned apple into the air.

"Not much of a greeting for a brother you have not seen in months." Bear notes loudly, eyes serious but tone light. Hunter runs his fingers through his hair, his cheeks aching with the effort to subdue a smile. Bear nods at Ari who curtseys politely back. Bear had noted their adjoined hands before and his brother's reluctance to let her go.

"Well you did just admit to being here to check up on me. That does not exactly ring of affection..." Hunter drawls. Bear rolls his eyes and pushes away from the wall. He strolls over to his little brother, but only in age, and grins.

"If we had known you were depraved of affection we would have sent Logan instead to pander to you." Bear cheekily quips, sending a wink Ari's way. She shakes her head and crosses her arms in mock disappointment. "Instead you have I." Bear continues, sharp eyes taking in the crease on Hunter's forehead as he bites down on his tongue.

"I would have preferred Logan." Hunter eventually replies, tone absolutely serious. "Or even Bronco. We could have had a drink together. Even Wolfe would have been a more desirable option..." He is cut off by Bear letting out a huge guffaw. Bear pats him on the arm.

"You have made your point little brother." Bear pronounces. "However I do doubt that you would have wanted Wolfe over I. He worries far too much and he would already have asked you a myriad of questions concerning your mother..." Bear glances at Ari. "I will wait and ask those later."

"You remember Lady Arisxandre of Tikva?" Hunter adeptly changes the topic and Bear has the good grace to go along with it.

"The unfortunate woman that was Wolfe's intended? Yes I remember. It is an honour to make your acquaintance again." Bear bows to Ari who smiles but shakes her head at the wording. He then strides forward to kiss her hand. Hunter pushes him back before he can stop himself and Bear chuckles.

"Lord Bear Usani, how is your brother and his wife?" Ari asks politely, brushing over Hunter's strange reaction.

"They are doing fairly well..." Bear pulls a face, "they are figuring out how to work in their new roles as husband and wife. There are a few arguments here and there but it seems to be getting better each day."

Ari giggles and has to bring her hand up to her mouth to quieten them down. Hunter looks at her with amusement. "I apologise, I did not expect such an honest response outside of the norm. Perhaps when the next person asks you should just say they are well and happy. Keep their personal life, personal." She advises.

Bear shrugs. "Perhaps I will."

"How long will you be staying?" Hunter asks.

"Only for a few days." Bear replies.

"Where are you staying?"

"I have not yet found accommodation since my first objective was to find you. Now that I have you can show me somewhere that I can sleep for the night." Bear suggests. Hunter grimaces and Bear picks up on it immediately. "What was that for?"

"I should be looking for a place to stay myself." Hunter admits.

Bear raises an eyebrow over his blue eye. "So the family reunion has gone that badly? Logan did tell me not to expect much from that Orion. I would have at least thought he would have provided you with a roof over your head." Bear grinds his teeth. Hunter nudges him.

"He offered. I refused." Hunter clarifies. "How is Logan?" His voice takes on a more concerned note and Ari roots around in her bag, trying not to invade the moment between brothers. She had heard that Logan was released from the Ricells and found innocent since her family had not needed to intervene with the Usani's. She kicks herself mentally for not even considering asking Hunter if Logan had escaped unscathed. She had simply assumed that he had since Hunter is he here not back with his brothers.

"He is recovering from his broken heart and keeping busy. He is concerned about you more than anything else. You went through a lot together in the Ricell lands and with everything that has happened since. He wrote you a letter..." Bear withdraws an envelope from within his jacket and hands it over. "...he wants you to know that if you need him then he will be here in a heartbeat after all that you did for him."

Hunter tucks the envelope into his belt and nods.

"I am sorry, I hate to intrude but the time has come where Lacy will be waiting for me." Ari softly explains.

"Of course. We should return. Keep up Bear." Hunter orders with humour offering his arm to Ari. She smiles and instead places her hand in his before she skips ahead through the tiny space between the houses back towards the bustling market. Hunter and Bear quickly follow as she floats in and out of the people as she makes her way to the fountain where she agreed to find Lacy. 

So...I have a feeling some of you may be sharpening your pitchforks? ;) And some of you may be jumping for joy?! I hope however that you are all happy that I have brought one of the Usani brothers into it for a little while! I wasn't going to but then somehow he appeared and that was that! 

Hope you are all having a great weekend.