Ch 7 Dating Material?

Harper Morgan
"Our first date." I hiss at the mirror. I hate how Ajax makes me feel like I'm a teenager going to prom. I'm nervous and can't seem to find the right outfit. I toss another failing skirt onto my pile of rejected skirts and dresses. Why am I doing this? It was a joke, Ajax was kidding. We're going with a group of people. I just wish when Ajax was teasing me he would do it without sounding so serious. I pick up another long green simple dress and hold it in front of me for a second before tossing it aside.
"No, enough of this." I pick up the last long dark green summer dress with braided brown belt and slip it on. Next, I find my strapy brown wedge heels and put them on. Looking at the clock I see that Kira will be here in five minutes. Picking up my purse from the dresser I leave the room and walk downstairs. At the landing, I see Ajax with his arms crossed leaning against the door smiling at me.
"You look beautiful. Ready to go?"
"Thanks. Yeah, I'm ready but Kira isn't here yet." I point out.
He steps away front he door, shifting so he can open the door. "I told her I was taking you."
Not thinking anything of it I walk towards the door and narrow my eyes at his triumphant face. "What?"
"Nothing." He says, mischievously.
I roll my eyes and walk out to his truck. Just as I'm about to open the door his hand is there, opening it for me. "What kind of date would I be if I didn't open the door for you?"
Turing, I glare at him, this is all a big joke to him. "This isn't a date."
"Like hell it ain't." He states raising an eyebrow.
"Stop it. You're not funny , Ajax." I reply, getting into his truck. I won't let him make a fool out of me. He already achieved that by making me over-think every outfit. Not to mention that I made sure I left my hair down, knowing he likes it that way. I remember turning seventeen. All summer I kept my hair up and out of my face. That night there was a barn dance at the Hudsons', celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary. I left my room only to run into Ajax who smiled at me and tugged at my ponytail. "Take it down just for today." He said, his face turning serious in an instant, his eyes holding mine. He gave it one last tug and walked down stairs. Too tongue tied to respond I watched him leave then went back into my room and took my hair down. I shake my head at the memory.
Glancing at him as he slides behind the wheel, I notice his dark washed jeans and dark grey t-shirt. This tells me he's only trying to get under my skin, he'd never wear that on a real date...would he? He starts the vehicle and we drive away. "This is a date." He mutters again.
"Oh, I know. Look at how well you're dressed." I reply, sarcastically.
I watch as he looks at his clothes then back up. "What's wrong with how I'm dressed?" Clearly confused by my comment.
"Nothing. It just looks like you're ready to muck stalls at any moment, same as always." I respond, truthfully. He always wears his jeans and tee-shirts until they fall apart. Not that it really matters, it just adds to his appeal. Not that I'd ever let him know that.
He turns in my direction, his eyes rake my body knowingly. "How many outfits did you go through?"
Opening my mouth about to respond I think about how pathetic I'd sound telling the truth. "Not many." I lie.
"If you went through more than two, you wanted to impress me. Meaning this is a date."
Feeling my temper flare for no real reason besides embarrassment I glare at him. "If this were a date you wouldn't be wearing a shirt that's faded so much its see through, or jeans that are practically unraveling at the seams. Yes, I tried on more then one outfit but it wasn't for you, you're not the only hot available guy in town."
He's silent for a moment and I feel triumphant."You think I'm hot?"
"I'm sure you had no idea." I reply, irritably.
I hear him chuckle in his rumbling way, making me shift uncomfortably. "Can't you drive faster?
"I'm driving five over. You're certainly anxious for this not being a date."
"Ajax." I reply, warningly.
"We'll be there soon, sugar. We have all night, no need to rush our date."
I sigh and look out the window, seconds later I feel the truck slowing down. "What are you doing?"
"Going back home to change."
"No, you're not! Keep going." I yell.
"Are you sure? I don't want to hear anymore complaining about how I'm dressed on our date." He smirks. "And no telling any future kids and grand kids how unkempt I was."
I shake my head, but give in when I see that he's starting to turn around. "Okay, fine. I won't say another thing. You look ravishing."
He jerks the wheel tuning back towards the Ranch. "Say it like you mean it." He orders, smirking.
"Ajax, don't be annoying just-"
"Back home it is." He replies, tuning the truck until we're facing the way we came.
"Ajax!" I yell, holding onto the dashboard. Groaning I say, "You look good. No matter what you wear you'll still look better than any one else."
He stops the truck and leans over to me and I narrow my eyes at the mischievous glint in his eyes. "Thank you, sugar." He says, kissing my cheek.
By the time we make it to town I've had enough of his heavy lidded looks, like he knows something that I don't.
"You should stop letting what I said go to your head." I advise, crossing my arms.
"What part?"
"All of it."
"Can't do it. It's not everyday the girl of my dreams tells me how hot I am and how much more-"
"Ajax!" I yell, as he parks the truck. Before he can respond I open the truck door, ignoring his order not to. When I feel his arm go around my waist I elbow his stomach not getting any reaction.
He stops me from walking any further and uses his hands to turn my hips towards him. "There are some rules." He states, seriously.
"Rules?" I ask, tiredly and slightly confused.
"No, dancing with anyone but me. No, drinking with any man but me. And above all no, going home with anyone but me."
"You cannot be serious." I state, bored and look around. The parking lot is paved now, I notice, big change in this town.
"I'm serious."
After an hour in a confined space with him relentlessly getting teased, I can't take any more Ajax and his mocking behavior. When his big calloused hands cup my cheeks making me look up at him I see his eyes are not joking.
I knock his hands away. "Okay! I won't go home with anyone. However, we're drinking with our friends and I'll dance with whomever I want."
Turning back around I walk briskly to the door. I hear Ajax' s heavy footsteps behind me. I stop to open the door and I feel the hard front of Ajax brush against me. I ignore the warmth and the feeling of elation I get from the contact. He's being, 'Ajax the terrible', I loath this part of him. At least that's what I tell myself as his arm once again goes around my waist. His hand grips my hip as we move through the dark crowded bar. I finally see Kira, her brothers and Dan sitting at a table in the back corner.
Clint is the first to see us and smiles his goofy big smile showing his perfectly white teeth. Kira is the second to notice us and her reaction to Ajax's hand on my waist is priceless. Ajax is the most coveted man in town and always has been. All the girls around our age and some older have had crushes on him at some point. Now, I'll have to explain his power trip to her.
"Howdy, good lookin'. I've been waiting for my dance partner." Clive says, noticing us as we stop next to the table.
"Sorry, there is to be no dancing tonight. Daddy says so." I reply, cocking my thumb back and pointing at Ajax who is still standing slightly behind me.
"I've warned you about that mouth, repeatedly." He mutters, his eyes hard as he pulls out my chair. I shrug and sit down next to Dan. Of course Ajax placed me here. So if he's not around to watch me, Dan is.
Milly Sanders a girl a year or two older than me stops at our table and takes our drink orders. I order a rum and coke, my drink of choice while in Flagstaff, my friend Remmy got me hooked on them.
I lock eyes with Kira and her eyes get big, asking me a question without really asking it. I give her a level look. "Later." I mouth and she shakes her head no.
"Bathroom?' Kira asks, standing up and not willing to wait for an answer.
I stand up to go. Only slightly surprised I didn't get a warning to come straight back to the table after we were done. As soon as we're out of ear shot she turns to me. "Okay, spill!"
I groan, "He doesn't want me dancing, talking, drinking or leaving with anyone. He's being exactly like he used to be." I explain, frustrated.
"Just like the old days, but he walked in here like he was with you." She replies, excitedly.
"Please, he was just warning everyone away." I point out.
"Exactly! He knows you're not a teenager anymore. It looked like he was claiming you or something, it was hot!"
"Trust me. In his eyes I'm still seventeen." I huff, crossing my arms.

Ajax West

I watch her leave with Kira and notice Dan's smirk. "What?"
He shakes his head. "You're an idiot. You think that's going to work? You treated her just like you used to. Sitting her between us, telling her what to do. Does she even know you like her? Because the way you're going about it, isn't the wisest."
"I told her this was a date." I tell him.
"A date? If that were true you wouldn't have to explain to her that she can't dance with anyone else. I know my sister, she isn't into this, Casanova." He chuckles mockingly.
"She's into me. She said I was hot. Hotter then any other guy." I point out, trying to not sound as happy as I feel knowing she likes the way I look.
"Wow, you're getting far." He jokes.
"Wait, Ajax is into Harp? Since when?" Clint asks, surprise written on his face.
"Since forever." I reply, glaring at Clint. "And you better think twice about asking her to dance again."
He holds up his hands grinning, "Okay, boss."
"Does she know?" Clive asks, watching for our drinks.
"I'm getting to that point, slowly." I admit. She doesn't know that I want her. I haven't told her directly. I can also tell that she thinks I'm just treating her as Dan pointed out, "as I did growing up". I can't seem to hold myself back, I want her too badly. It was always Dan and I that would "protect" her from other guys. It was our job to keep all the guys away from her, at least that's what I wanted Dan to think. In reality I just didn't want to see her being touched by anyone other than me.
"You're okay with it, Dan?" Clint asks, amazed.
He shrugs and explains. "Yeah, only because he won't get far."
"But you guys are practically related." Clive says, stupidly. "You've grown up together."
"We're not related." I grumble as I see my beer being set in front of me.
"Ah, Ajax? A couple of the girls want me to ask. Are you with Harper Morgan?" Milly asks, obviously not believing it herself.
"Yep." I reply, just as I hear Harper give an adamant, "No." from behind me.
I shrug and wink at Milly. "She will be."