Stolen By War

Deep breath in,

Deep breath out.

Children are an anxiety driven nightmare.

Sometimes, I wish I never had them, but I'm also glad I have them.

I have twins, they're my pride and joy but sometimes I wish I hadn't waited nine months for this.

"Mawma," I looked down to see one of the twins, Ashlynn, pulling on my white dress whilst playing with her purple one.

"Yes?" I smiled putting down the dishes I was doing prior, bending down to her level with my arms resting on my knees.

"When will Pawpa come home?" I paused, looking at my daughter of six years.

"When the war is over." I frowned, I could feel the tears prickling my eyes.

"What did he look like?" She asked, looking at me with her soft blue eyes.

"Almost exactly like your brother, except he has my eyes while you have your father's eyes." I remembered, cupping her face.

"Mawma, why are you crying?" Ashlynn frowned, staring at what I assume to be my eyes.

As I was about to respond, the other twin, Boris, came into the room.

"Why are you sad Muma?" He asked, tears of his own dripped down his face. "Was it Pawpwa again?"

"No, it's not your father. I just miss him is all." I smile reassuringly, wiping my tears away. I had to be strong, they were counting on me.

Faster then I realised, there were two sets of small arms wrapped around me. Closing my eyes, I pulled my children closer.

"He's not coming back, is he?" Ashlynn frowned, her voice muffled by my dress.

"He will come home, won't he?" Boris was also frowning, taking one arm away to wipe his tears away on his black shirt.

(I NEED SOMEONE TO DRAW THIS, IT'S WAY TOO ADORABLE!!!)

"I don't know." I whispered, softly playing with both children's hair, still holding them close.

I looked at the clock, 7:16.

"It's time for bed you two." I sniffled, standing up as both children reached for one of my hands.

For the first time in a while, I smiled. I smiled and led the twins to their bedroom.

"Can we sleep with you tonight?" Boris tugged my arm, looking at me with a sorrowful face.

"Absolutely, you and your sister go on ahead. Mama has work to do."

I watched the twins run down the hall of the rundown flat, but it was all I could afford.

Looking over at the table, I noticed all the letters there were at the table. I frowned again, sighing as I walked over to the depressing table.

That was, until the doorbell rang.

No one visits us here, I realised.

Gripping the gun my husband gave me for protection, I slowly opened the door.

I wished I never did.

"We can pay off your flat and food for your children, but we ask for your assistance in return."

"I'll never see them again, will I?"

"There's a very likely chance."

"Fine"