chapter 1

You are not going to believe this story. But it is a true story, as true as i sit here writing it- as true as i will die in the morning. Yes, this story ends with my end, with my death tomorrow.

I have always been a kind and loving person- everyone will tell you this. They will also tell you that i have always loved animals more than anything. When i was a little boy, my family always had many different animals round the house. As i grew up, i spent most of my time with them, giving them their food and cleaning them.

I married when i was very young, and i was happy to find that my wife loved all of our animal friends as much as i did. She bought us the most beautiful animals. We had all sorts of birds, gold fish, a fine dog and a cat.

The cat was a very large and beautiful animal. He was black, black all over, and very intelligent. He was so intelligent that my wife often laughed about what some people believe; some people believe that all black cats are evil, enemies in a cat's body.

Pluto- this was the cat's name- was my favourite. It was always i who gave him his food, and he followed me everywhere. I often had to stop him from following me through the streets! For years, he and i lived happily together, the best of friends.