Then Killian Brings Us Back Together

Start from the beginning

This new floor was dimly lit and colored in darker tones of red and black and the darkest of gold that appeared brown. Leather covered most of the seats and tables and the atmosphere was tranquil, the glass walls displaying a skyline that was sprinkled with lights from other buildings. Every now and then, I could hear the melodious tunes originating from a grand piano and craned my neck to detect a young man seated gracefully at a pianoforte. Just by the eastern side, dressed in black.

The high back wooden chairs gave the place a sense of having important people welcomed in there.

It made me think of a scene from one of Jane Austen's books, especially the oil paintings on the walls just by the bar. There was this particular one of a swan that captured my attention and held it. A swan in a pond, all by itself, chest puffed out and appearing very proud. Killian had a hand rested on my back and even though I felt under-dressed, he was as well. We both were still drinking in the scene when she came into view.

"Fashionably late," I was offered a smirk and realized that she had slipped off her tailored black jacket. That was enough to make me stare. What remained was a tailored red dress that hugged her hips and those black high heeled shoes matched impressively.

"This place is quite beautiful," Killian remarked, "do you come here often?"

"The last time I frequented this establishment was close to two years ago. We rented the entire floor just for a board meeting. And might I say that it has always left a lasting impression on me?"

I wasn't supposed to dwell on the argument we had that afternoon, was I? When she asked me if I wanted us to be glued together. Why the hell was I bothering about this so much? I needed to get high and blank out this anxiety and heaviness around my heart.

"I'm glad you came," she nudged our shoulders together and whispered. I smelled the wonderful scent of her White Diamond perfume and my mind moaned.

My lips were licked and I inhaled deeply.

The table selected was one to the furthest corner, just where the pianoforte was set up. I chose the chair that gave me a view of the skyline whilst she moved to sit in one that blocked that view. Intentionally. So much for an easy distraction. Noting the flicker of passion in her gaze, my body burnt up whilst Killian took his seat to the right of me and the left of her.

By the time we had ordered, and I had no idea how to pronounce the Italian meals on the menu, the two of them struck up a conversation. It was pleasing for me to observe her fascination in poetry. They spoke of Edgar Allan Poe and his poem about The Raven and I listened the intellectual discussion on a piece that caressed deep minds. The way she thought about the poem was enough to signal to me what depth her mind had reached. Carefully pulling apart each line that was memorized and attaching meaning to those words that piqued Killian's interest.

"I should have recorded your speech," he sipped on rum and smiled. "Quite an intimacy you have with the written word."

"Each line, written by a person, is done so with intent. We engage our brains, our hands and fingers whilst merely putting words onto paper and the entirety of the process is a fundamental one."

"Which is why my approach to studying is to highlight the important parts and to rewrite them." Killian lightly tapped my right shoulder and offered me a smile. "They claim that it's time consuming but I find it highly effective."

"Nothing should be time consuming if it is done with purpose."

I watched her lift the glass of red wine to red painted lips and she sipped, eyes on me. My plate of which I would describe simply as rice, cuts of steamed vegetables and beef, sprinkled with cheese was delicious. I had a side order of potato salad that melted in my mouth. As my fork poked the food around, her scrutiny on me lifted my attention. Staring across the table, I inhaled deeply and held the gaze.