Born to be a Pirate

Start from the beginning

                “I could ask you the same thing,” I said calmly.  “Call me Flame.”

                “Sparx,” she replied quickly.

                “Is this your first year here, Sparx?” I asked lightly, my hand hovering near the Queenblade.

                “I was born to be a pirate,” she growled.  “But I have someone to find, and you’re blocking the road to the city.”

                Sparx pointed out of the way with her dagger, the blade flashing in the sunlight.  I took a step to move, I didn’t want to pick a fight within minutes of returning to camp, but then I saw the color of the pommel stone.  It was red, a dull ruby set in the hilt of the dagger.  I couldn’t see the entire hilt of course, not with Sparx’ hand wrapped around it, but I could see enough to know the leather grip would be the same dull red color.  Sparx held the red-hilted dagger.

                The red-hilted dagger I had given Briamy before she died.

                I snatched the Queenblade from its sheath and faced Sparx, planting my feet to make it clear I wasn’t moving.  Chest heaving with the sudden onslaught of emotion, I forced myself to focus, to suppress the memories of my friend.

                “Tell me where you got that dagger,” I ordered.

                Sparx smirked, tossing her hair to the side as she watched my reaction.

                “The dagger,” I repeated.

                “I woke up with it,” she purred.

                “Liar,” I snarled. 

                “A gift then,” she amended, widening her amber eyes to feign innocence.  “To protect myself while I’m among the big bad pirates.”

                “I’m a terrible pirate to pick a fight with if you’re trying to stay safe.”

                Sparx laughed.  “You don’t seem all that scary to me.”

                I closed my eyes, giving in to my emotions, letting them sweep through my veins and awaken my magic.  The familiar power calmed me, trading the anger for awareness in the single second it took for my fire to channel through my hand and set the Queenblade ablaze.

                “My name is Gittoran Flame, Queen of Thieves and King of Pirates.”

                A flicker of recognition showed in Sparx’ eyes, and her attitude flipped completely.  She relaxed out of her guarded stance and stood straight, her head tilted in blatant curiosity as she sheathed the dagger.

                “You killed Mají-jalio,” she said matter-of-factly.  “You’re the Griffon’s child.  I’m a big fan of your work.”

                I let my fire burn out, but didn’t lower my weapon.

                “Could we start again?” she asked, her voice now chipper and friendly.  “I wouldn’t want to make an enemy of the King of Pirates; can we call it a misunderstanding?”

                Sparx held her hand out and took a step forward, staring at me expectantly.  Unsatisfied and mistrusting of her mood swing, I ignored the gesture, but sheathed my blade, turned, and stalked away.  For some reason, I didn’t believe she would follow me.  I was wrong.  I hadn’t made it ten steps before she caught up and proceeded to continue trying to talk to me.