Finally (Part 20)

Start from the beginning

You gasp in fright at how sudden and tight the gesture is. Looking at his face you can see that he's still asleep and has no idea that he's doing this.

Suddenly his grip starts to tighten, and get even tighter and tighter, until the pressure is too much to handle.

"Ow," you whimper. "Bucky, you're hurting me."

It's a useless attempt, he's to far gone, trapped in his own terror to hear you.

You try to pull away and squirm out of his grasp but he's so much stronger than you. You can't even imagine what his mechanical hand could do. It would probably have snapped you like a twig by now.

He continues to pull you down, his nails digging in. Your whole hand is throbbing and you're starting to see stars. The worst part is he has no idea he's doing this, no idea he's hurting you and you no longer know how to stop it. His thrashing becomes more violent.

"Ah! Bucky please stop it!" You gasp and cry, yanking at your arm. "Bucky your hurting me."

You're sure he's close to breaking your wrist by now, surely there's been at least some kind of damage already. No normal human has this kind of strength.

"Bucky please wake up!" You cry out when you can't stand it anymore and all of a sudden he bolts up, swinging his arm out.

"No no don't touch me!" You hear him shout as he accidentally swipes you, knocking you to the floor.

"Ah!" You screech in fright.

This doesn't really hurt you but it is what manages to wake Bucky up in the end.

"(Y/N)!" He gasps and you look up to see his startled face poking over the edge of the bed looking down at you, wild eyes gleaming in the dim moonlight. "Doll are you okay? I'm so sorry! Did I hurt you?" He mumbles as he turns on the bedside lamp and scrambles out of bed to kneel in front of you.

"Yeah Bucky I'm fine." You sigh.

"Is the baby okay?" he asks frantically, worry in his voice as he places a hand on your belly.

"I think so. It wasn't a bad fall Buck, I'm sure we're alright," you say dismissively.

"I'm so sorry I didn't mean to I just-"

"Bucky, I know you didn't mean to. It's okay. It isn't your fault. You can't help it that you were having a bad nightmare."

His gaze falls to the floor, probably in embarrassment.

"I'm still sorry," he mumbles as he reaches out a hand to help you up.

Without realising it he grabs your hand that he hurt and you can't help the yelp that escapes your lips when he starts to pull you up.

"Ow!" You cry out in pain before you can stop yourself.

"What's wrong?" He gasps, nearly letting you go in fright.

"N-nothing," you stutter, trying to backtrack as the two of you settle on the edge of the bed.

"But you just said ow?" He frowns concerned.

"I'm okay." You shake your head but you find that you start to poke at and fumble with your wrist in an attempt to dull the pain.

"Doll, please don't lie to me. Did I hurt you?" he asks gravely.

Tears of guilt, pain and frustration blur your vision as you shakily hold up your wrist for him to see.

His breath hitches in his throat.

"Oh my god," he whispers as he gently takes it in his hand to inspect it.

You look at it properly too for the first time.

Tender blue bruising is already starting to show in the shape of finger marks and his nails dug in so deep that the indentations where they were are coming up a deep dark purply red, some even drew blood.

Bucky's hands begins to shake as he looks at what he did to you in horror. You watch as his mouth drapes open and his eyes fill with self hatred.

"Buck, you didnt-"

"Doll, I'm so sorry." He swallows hoarsely.

"Buck, it's okay. You didn't mean to do it. You were out to it. You didn't know," you try to assure him.

"I should be more careful," he scolds himself. "I need to realise that I am some kind of weird monster now."

"No your not, don't say that," you beg.

"I don't know what else to say except I'm sorry beyond anything," he mumbles as a single tear trails down his cheek. "I'm a danger to you and the kids. I should go sleep on the couch."

"Bucky no your not. Please. And don't you dare even think about getting out of this bed. This is the first time this has ever happened."

"And what if it's not the last?" He turns to you, guilt written all over his face like a book.

"It won't be. I know that. Because I love you and you love me too much to let something as little as this," you say and point gingerly to your wrist. "Get in between us."

"I love you so much doll you know that right?" He huffs tiredly.

"Yes. And I love you too. Always have, always will." You smile as you reach up with your good hand and caress his cheek. "And just look on the bright side."

"What bright side?" he asks, giving you a miserable look.

"You weren't even trying to hurt me. Imagine what you could do to a bad guy if you really were trying." You giggle lightly.

Although he tries to contain himself a laugh does escape his lips. "Yes but your my precious, delicate little flower and I don't want to hurt you."

He takes your hand and kisses it before the two of you lie down together again. Your back pressed against his naked torso, his arm draped over your waist, lying protectively on the silk of the nightgown covering your protruding belly as the two of you drift off into a peaceful sleep for the rest of the night... Until Luke and Isla jump on the bed and wake you up the next morning.

                               ~~~~

Bucky continues to beat himself up about hurting you for the next few days and is ridiculously careful about everything he does even though you really are perfectly fine. But thankfully, soon he does start to return to his normal goofy self again - just a little more aware of what he can do.