To be give a family

To be give a Family

North threw the large door opened and walked inside the large factory, Tooth, Sandy and Bunny following in right after. North laughed loudly, the threat finally being over. Pitch was beaten and the children of the world believed once again.

"Let us have a feast, to celebrate our victory!"
The other guardians agreed, for once feeling that they deserved to have a little time off.

"Come on in everyone," North shouted, "Don't let the cold in."

Too late would North realize his mistake in his words.

Just as he uttered his words Jack was about to step inside, but now stopped. His blue eyes were wide, reflecting just how much he had been hurt. 'Don't let the cold in', he was Jack Frost, he was the cold itself. 'Don't let the cold in' was just other words for, 'Don't let Jack Frost in', a sentence that had hunted him for hundred of years. And nothing had change, he still wasn't welcomed.

Taking a step back his grip around his staff tightened and tears welled up in his eyes, even when he tried his hardest to stop them. He couldn't believe how stupid he had been, hoping for something that could never be. He hadn't been welcomed for three hundred years, why would he be welcomed anywhere now. He was the bringer of cold, and no one wanted to let the cold into their homes.

Looking up Jack saw how the other talked to each other, how they laughed with each other...how they belonged together. But Jack knew he would never belong, he was just too different. Jack wished he could, but he knew he would never be able. And it broke his heart.

He wanted nothing more than to belong, to accepted for who he was. He wanted someone who was there for him, that cared for him. It was all he had ever wanted, even more than being believed in. He wanted someone to care, he wanted a home...he wanted a family.

Looking at the others he knew they were a family, they cared for each other. But somehow, Jack couldn't see himself among them, sharing what they had, no matter how much he wished he could. They wouldn't want him anyway, Pitch was right about that. Jack knew no one could ever care for him, he was just trouble, a mistake. He wondered why MiM had even chosen him, it would just had been better if he had died that day at the lake.

Hearing the others laugh made Jack drew a shuddering breath, a single tear slipping down his cheek. Taking one last look at what he could never have, he grabbed the doorknob and closed the door, as he turned around and started to walk away.

Bunny heard the door quietly click shut and looked over his shoulder, expecting to see the winter spirit. But he was met by nothing but an empty spot where Jack should have been. Blinking a couple of times he looked around in the room, searching for the boy. But he found nothing and it suddenly dawned on him. Jack had left without saying a word, without telling them. But why? What would cause the boy to leave?
'Don't let the cold in'.

It hit Bunny like a ton of bricks. His ears fell as his eyes widened, his glued on the wooden door. He understood it then. Those words, the words no one had payed close attention to, had made Jack feel like he wasn't welcomed. They had crushed his heart, his hopes, without even realizing it. They had pushed him away without meaning to, they had made him believe he didn't belong by not reassuring him that he was welcomed, that he was one of them. They take away his hope, and no one could feel worse than the Pooka at that moment.

He was the bringer and keeper of hope, yet he had failed to bring it to the one that needed it the most. Jack was only a child, he couldn't be more than fourteen years old. A child that had been alone for so long.

Bunny found himself wondering when Jack had first lost his hope, the very hope he protected every day. Was it the first time he was walked through? Or was it when no one came to help him, to explain to him why he was the way he was? Or was it when every other immortal, all of them, had pushed him away, refusing to have anything to do with him?