Chapter Two: Lullaby and Leaving

Chapter Two: Lullaby and Leaving

      It was three in the morning, dew hanging in the air with mist coating the leaves, glistening. My chest ached, my markings burned, and my head was swimming with dizzying thoughts. I was thinking about that woman, so beautiful with raven black hair and bright, emerald green eyes. She was young, around her mid-twenties, and in love; her eyes showed it just like they did everything. Her face was pale, like white marble, with lips that spoke of nothing but calming words and love.

My Mother.

I sighed, stroking my fingers through my hair and imagining that it was her. Shockingly, I remembered her and that dreaful night. But that was it, everything else was just whispers too quiet for me to hear in the back of my mind, locked away, never to be seen again. I didn't try to get to them in fear of being lost or trapped in the memories, their seductive words being the only thing lulling me into eternity.

No one knew of the massacre, the end of my kind -- apart from myself of course. My heart ached in my chest as I thought of how I would never get to hear her alluring lullaby with these new, matured ears. At night, when my eyes had succumbed to the darkness, I could hear their screams, their pleads for help, their last words as they lay dying on the mushy forest floor.

I would see their faces, coated in their own sickening silver blood from the tattoos that leaked and scarlet pooling around them in a death embrace.Sleep avoided me after every nightmare, deep black smudges hung onto the skin beneath my eyes but I never felt the need to return to that forsaken time of rest. No one, not even he could help me at these times.

I avoided saying his name, knowing it would only bring me forever heartbreak and instead, let myself stretch out into the form of my blackened wolf. My silver markings were a striking white in the black, twisting in complicated spirals until it hit the tip of my tail where it then began to spread all over my underside.

The shift was peaceful, easy. A spasm of pleasure shook my frame as I transformed, a beautiful, glowing light reflecting off my tattoos blindingly before I set off at a slow sprint. I could hear perfectly the sound of running water coming from the winter spring below the river bend and the chirping birds that swooped down next to me to enjoy the freeing sense of letting your inner animal out.

A raven crowed above me and I couldn't help but smile wolfishly, letting my legs push themselves harder in a race against this striking bird figure. It followed me all the way to the river before diving down, slowing itself with its powerful wings, and settling on a low branch close to where I stood.

We sat in silence, only the sound of the slow flowing river filling our ears until a second raven, this one a female, cawed to the one that had followed and he set off after her with a single glance my way. I was alone then, left to my pitiful thoughts of desperation, depression, and longing. It was there that I heard her voice, as clear and as beautiful as the day that she held me in her perfect arms.

Il mio piccolo Royal, una giovane bella

dormire tranquillo riposo

I sei qui con amore e cura

in silenzio, io vi consolerò

Il mio angelo, mia principessa, il mio bambino

Ciò consente di risparmiare i nostri preziosi figli da sola

può la dea, la regina della nostra natura, Lithia, si tiene a favore

Silent tears had fallen from my eyes but I did not dare try to hide my weakness in this lonesome forest with nothing but the memory of a woman, far gone by now, to comfort me in this haunted place. I mourned my loss, the loss of the Royals,  the loss of my people who I was meant to lead. All of it had been ripped away from me, torn to shreds before I could even comprehend the seriousness of their attack.