Chapter 3- Oasis

Chapter 3 

Oasis 

I sat staring blankly at the departure board in Port Everglades. It had already started pouring and the annoying pitter-patter of rain was audible even through the murmur of voices around me. Ash was sitting two spaces down from me cradling Iris. She had been awake all day and was now sleeping gently against his chest. Across from me sat Judith and Henry both staring off into space. How did that happen? Well, apparently Ash had convinced Mom and Dad to bring them along with us. Why? I had no idea. It was probably an attempt to piss me off, as usual, but I have to give him credit, he did a darn good job. I'd thrown a hissy fit when I found out, which was just about an hour ago. It had taken every ounce of self-tolerance I had not to lunge at them as soon as they walked in through the door. Every ounce. I'd made Mom swear not to ask me to acknowledge either of them and made her accept my anti-Ash views. As of now, Ash and I were split. I was never, ever, going to talk to him.  

Henry was staring at nothing in particular. He looked as if he were deep in thought. Probably planning out world domination, my inner voice suggested. Yes. It was just like Henry to scheme up something like that. World domination. People who didn't really know him thought he was cute in a mysterious way. Seriously? He always stayed away from people, hardly ever spoke, and caused people to cringe in terror when he turned his eyes on them. Cute? I didn't think so. 

I, however, was never influenced by his golden looks. I knew he was evil. I just hadn't found the proof yet. And believe me, when I did find evidence I'd scream "I told you so" into everyone's face. Then everyone'd know who's the smart one here. 

I zoned out, ignoring all of them, and instead started people-watching. It was rush hour twenty-four seven at the port. Many different cruises were also leaving today besides The Oasis. Congregated masses littered every inch of the floor. Honestly, it was funny watching the way people bumped into each other purposely as a futile try to be the first one in line. When The Navigator's passengers were called, everything descended into chaos. There was no discipline whatsoever. People pushed past each other and some even tripped over their own feet. Luggage was lost and boarding was delayed. But the worse departure yet was of one of the Carnival cruises. As soon as they were clear to board, people had literally run out the door, stampeding over others like savages. Why they'd done that was still a mystery. Come-on people we're in America. I mean, it's not like someone was going to take over someone else's room or anything. They were already booked and people got what they got. Maybe this was the reason they had security posted everywhere. 

Eventually, after what seemed like eternity, the ship was ready to depart. Despite the sheer number of passengers headed for The Oasis, boarding went relatively smooth. No savagery was displayed as they herded us to the right gate. But it's not like we couldn't have found the gates ourselves. All you had to do was look above the gates or out the windows for the words "The Oasis of the Seas". Not that hard if you ask me. 

Black and blue uniformed sailors waved us gracious goodbyes as the excitement became dominantly apparent in the aura surrounding everybody.  

And that was when we had our first glimpse of the ship.  

At first it was a distinct outline against the gloomy sky, but as I got closer and closer, everything became more defined. My first reaction was one of shock; how can anything so big and seemingly heavy even float? Once I got over the size, phase two of my assessment kicked in, appearance. It was white, just like any other cruise ship, but it was also very unlike any other ship I'd ever seen. It was so beautiful there were no words to describe it. "The Oasis of the Seas" was intricately written near the front of the ship, by the hull, and the Royal Caribbean trademark was posted near the back where it stood out against the white. Nine enormous yellow jet-powered, yacht-like lifeboats lined its body, with matching twins on the other side. Each capable of carrying 370 passengers, I remembered from the brochure. Craning my neck was the only way I could barely make out the top of the ship. It was truly a sight to behold.