Video Games

[modern au, male!reader, loves video games, squib, bigger than credence (thats kind of hard to be i know im sorry lol), EXTREMELY FLUFFY]

Bonding with Credence had been a tough task to handle, but with the encouragement of Newt and with your own charming, soft-spoken wit, you had been able to do it, and now you considered him to be your closest friend.

Everything about Credence enchanted you- his brown eyes, so sad yet so enticing; his thin, starved frame that was finally beginning to fill out from being under the care of the generous Newt Scamander; his timid nature that soon opened up to become curious and excited by even the littlest things; those scars on his hands that never seemed to heal but he wasn't shy about- rather, he acknowledged them when you were caught staring, calling them "reminders of how much I've grown and what I've escaped." All of these things about him filled you with admiration of him and, dare you say it, you were developing a little bit of a crush on the boy.

You were certain he didn't feel the same way- no way that he could. You couldn't even be sure he liked boys. But nonetheless, your friendship was advancing, and one quiet summer afternoon when Newt didn't have any errands for you two to run and it was too hot to sit around outside reading, you brought Credence back to your little apartment to show him something very special and dear to your heart.

You led Credence to your room, practically buzzing with excitement and the tension you felt in your chest from his fingers quietly, delicately laced in yours. Your room was very simple and clean; your bed low with sky blue sheets and white pillows; a closet lined with your favorite shirts; one window, open to let in a breeze and flooding in daylight; wood floors, creaking politely under your feet, no rug; and your favorite place to be in the whole apartment: A wooden desk with shelves, drawers, and your computer right in the middle.

You pulled over an extra chair next to your own computer chair and pressed the power button on the monitor. Credence sat in the extra chair, a little confused but trusting that whatever was about to happen, it would be as amazing as you had made it out to be.

"What I'm about to show you is JUST as great as magic, in my opinion," you chuckled as you boasted, clicking on the Steam app and looking through your games for the right one. "You ever play video games before, Credence?"

"No," he replied quietly, smiling at your proud tone of voice. Credence had been slowly adapting to the world of magic thanks to Newt and company, but the No-Maj world outside of his mother's church was a mystery. You were a squib, and therefore got to experience both worlds, and Credence found himself eager, almost desperate, to see the No-Maj world from your considerably more optimistic point of view. "I've never really used computers, actually. Only to help Ma- I mean.... Mary Lou with sending harassing emails and setting up some terrible New Salem website."

"Oh! I've seen that thing. It looks like it was made by a third grader!" you laughed aloud, and Credence laughed with you, not at all offended. You were proud of him for calling that awful woman by her name instead of Ma, because since he left the church, Credence had stopped acknowledging her as any sort of maternal figure, even in the past tense. He was grateful for how you spoke of her and her church with such contempt, because it taught him that his anger at Mary Lou was valid. It was empowering.

"Okay... well... today's your lucky day, then!" you cheered, your eyes flitting from game file to game file. Finally, your cursor found its way to one of your favorite games in the world, one that was frankly life-changing for you, one that was PERFECT to have Credence play: UNDERTALE.

"I wanna lead you through this game, Credence. I think you'll really like it." You scooted your chair a little to the right, having him come in closer to the monitor. The game started up, the muted colors of the 8-bit art reflecting in Credence's eyes as he read the intro storyline, his lips parted in awe.