Prologue

" That's enough!! STOP!!!"

I ran to the dressing table. The car keys, i left them somewhere there. But my blurred vision and hands, that were shivering like stupid frightened leaves, were not at all helping. I knew I was crying and my nose was running all the way down. I didn't care, there was no one else to see anyways. My chest was hurting, as if it was trying to contort into itself and vanish into thin air. Every breathe I tried to take just added to the pain.

"WHERE ARE THE DAMN KEYS?!!!!"

Clink!!

I looked down at my feet, as I felt something fall. The keys! They glistened in the light in mock. "D&S" was engraved on its wooden key chain, trying to pull me into its past without mercy.

I couldn't hold it in any longer. Just when I thought I was finally moving on... I was wrong, I wasn't recovering. Instead I was turning psychotic. But this was it. This needed to stop.

I bent down and snatched the keys. They felt so cold..
"You left me! You could have tried to stay alive, but you didn't want to. Now you won't let me move on? Aren't you done punishing me?!" I shouted at the keychain.

Siddharth had had it made as a surprise for me, when we bought the house. He said anything with a piece of me on it was lucky for him...

"You lier!" I screamed as I plucked the chain off the keys and threw it out of the window. Tears were flowing down my face uncontrollably. My chest was beginning to turn unbearable. I felt alone and scared, I needed help.

Gasp! I nearly jumped as something hard hit my left arm. "D&S" stared back at me from the floor sarcastically.

My knees felt weak. I slumped on the edge of bed, my eyes wide! Am I hallucinating?! I knew I needed a psychiatrist. But I didn't imagine I was in this bad a shape!

I ran downstairs. I had to get out of this damn house.
"Lucky my foot" I spoke loudly as I slammed the door shut. I held my keys tight and ran to my car. It was raining cats and dogs, just like that dreadful night a year ago...

"Snap out of it Dwani!" I quickly got in and dialled my friend.

"Hey D. What's up so late?"

"Arjun... I.. I think I need help," I sobbed. I was biting my nails to keep myself from wailing.

"Hey hey. Don't worry. I'll come right over. Are you crying?"

" No... I am driving to your place. See you in 5 min... Arjun, help me, please." All that I had locked away in the unfathomable depths of my heart just began to burst out. I disconnected the call and bit my lip. I will not cry. I blinked off the tears and revved my engine, pushed the paddle and raced the car out.

I was suffocating, I rolled the window down, only to have the rain lash against my face hurting my skin. I could taste salt in my mouth and realised that I was after all, crying.

"I'm sorry." a very familiar raspy voice breathed in my ears, raising the hair behind my neck!

"Aaahh!! " I shuddered ,accidentally hitting the horn and narrowly missing jamming into another car .

"I said STOP!!! Why now Sid?! Stop playing with my head."
I gritted my teeth and wiped my eyes with the cuff of my sleeves.
"Why cant you just move on b*tch?!" I groaned at myself.

I took a sharp left turn and just as I was about to change gears, my headlights embraced him. HE was standing there, out of the blue, a bloody 5 feet from the car. Not the frozen one i saw in the casualty last year, but the one who was waiting for me on the mandap, to take my hand. I thumped down on the brakes and turned the steering sharply to dodge him. I heard the tyres screech and felt myself lose control of the car. Before blacking out, I watched myself ram onto a tree.

_______________

*mandap: A sacred tent used in Hindu wedding ceremony.