Chapter Five: Day Four (Tuesday)

Start from the beginning

'This operation required prudence and finesse,' responded Leon, reaching for the marmalade. 'It needed a professional hand; so Mirabelle and I went ourselves.' 

'Marmalade on crumpets, darling? Are you sure?' asked Mirabelle, breaking into her boiled egg. 

'Yes,' her husband answered, and proceeded to ladle marmalade on to his favourite dish. 

'Don't expect good taste from Leon,' George advised. 'So, whom did you find in Rhyl?' 

'The Countess Viramova, young Sergei - who is currently her lover; a man calling himself Tanner, but I think the police know him under other names; and a young Russian emigr\u00e9 known as Michael the White, or simply Michael White.' 

'White, as against Red,' remarked Raymond. 

'Yes.' Leon bit into his crumpet. He was going to go on talking with his mouth full, but Mirabelle gestured him to be silent and continued the narrative herself. 'We got a list of their contacts and their current operations. They've been trying to influence the elections, to get the Conservatives in.' 

'So they think the Conservatives will be friendly to them?' asked George. 

'Yes, but I don't see why they should be.' 

'Neither do I. Do continue.' George continued eating his poached eggs and spinach. 

'And the Countess has been receiving information about Maria's movements. Joan Josep - the Catalan revolutionary who besieged us on Sunday afternoon - has been sending her information. The Countess wants to have Maria killed, or at least arrested. But we told her that Maria has already been arrested - except that she's out on bail.' 

'Do you have that list of contacts or did you give it to the police?' asked Raymond. 

'Yes - I mean, both; I have carbon copies,' Mirabelle told him. 'Oh, and Sergei left a note for me - I'll show you after breakfast.' 

After breakfast they assembled in George's first floor office to look at Mirabelle's notes, the contact names (many of whom were already known to the Three) and the letter from Sergei. 

'This is a little too obvious to be a trap,' observed George. 

'It's a double bluff,' responded Leon. 'Obviously, Sergei knew he was about to be arrested or worse, but he left us with a puzzle to solve. I expect he wants Mirabelle to walk into a meeting of his current group of white slavers. I would certainly like to meet them - I have a few things to give them.' His restless hands twitched in anticipation. 

'Obviously, Mirabelle must not go,' said George. 'And neither should you, Leon - they'll see you coming. No, a woman should go, but someone who can look after herself.' 

'I can look after myself!' Mirabelle expostulated. 

'Of course,' answered George, calmly, 'but Leon doesn't believe you can, and despite all his claims to be without sentiment he would not be able to bear seeing you walk into danger; so I suggest we ask Meadows to send one of the women police.' 

'I expect they'll volunteer,' retorted Mirabelle. 

At that point, they heard the doorbell ring. 'I'll go,' said Raymond, rising, and went downstairs; but before he reached the bottom of the stairs the group in the office heard the front door open and Megs cry: 'Miss Baines! How are you? Are you well?' and Lucy's excited voice replying. 

'I think we have our volunteer,' George observed. 

'But Lucy can't go! She can hardly shoot - and she's too young to die - and she's my friend,' exclaimed Mirabelle.