Happy Birthday Hermione

Start from the beginning

         “You like it?” he asked hopefully.

         “Ron, this is terrible.” I laughed, he looked hurt for a second, “But I love it nonetheless, because you gave it to me!” I continued and then he smiled.

         “I know it’s horrible. It’s ugly. But then it’s good it wasn’t the real gift.” He said pulling a smaller package out from under his robes. This one was rectangular and a lot smaller than the first. I hesitated before taking it. Ron just smiled at me and urged me to open my gift.

I was speechless. It was the greatest gift I had ever gotten. A thin silver necklace lay in the box on a velvet pillow with a single pendant was attached. The pendant was not simple either. It was a small sapphire heart with a silver edge, and as I looked at it closely, I saw there was some writing on the silver edge. Love is friendship set on fire. It said. It had to have been extremely expensive. But given the circumstances, it probably wasn’t that much to him; Harry, Ron and I had all been given a lot of money when we killed Voldemort. So that was probably why he had spent so much money on that gift.

         “Here let me help you.” He said and took the box from me, and took out the necklace and gestured at me to turn around so I did. I lifted up my hair so he could put the necklace on me. While I was turned away from him I saw Malfoy leaving the Great Hall. I wanted to run after him, I had no clue why. I just wanted to talk to him. But I stayed in my seat. I kissed Ron lightly on his lips.

         “Thank you Ron. This is amazing!” I whispered against his lips, he chuckled and put his arm around me. We finished our breakfast and all went up to the Gryffindor common room. I hadn’t been in there for so long. It felt like a second home to me, I almost wished I still lived here, but I also liked my new room and common room.

It had been a long time since I had just been with my friends and not done anything else. I enjoyed this day; I didn’t get to celebrate my birthday the previous year, so this year I really took advantage of just being with friends and not doing anything else. I was with Harry, Ron and Ginny all day. After eating supper with them, I left to go back to my own room. I was exhausted. After another round of hugs, ‘happy birthday’s’ and a goodnight kiss from Ron, I went back to the Head Prefects’ room. When I came to the portrait of the fluffy cat I stopped and sat down leaning against the cool, stone wall. I sometimes liked to just sit out here and watch the cat play. Sometimes it even spoke to me, but this cat was not very social, so that barely ever happened. I sighed and rested my head on the wall, closing my eyes.

         “What are you doing out here?” drawled a familiar voice. I looked at Malfoy; he was just coming out of our common room.

         “Nothing. I just like being out here.” I simply said.

         “You’re not just sitting out here to avoid me, are you?” he smirked, why did he have to be so good-looking? I was actually surprised with myself… last night… he had been topless throughout our whole conversation. I had had to restrain myself from staring at his ripped chest. At least he was wearing a shirt now, but he was still extremely good-looking. I laughed out loud once at his question.

         “No I’m not. I just like being out here. It’s peaceful, no one ever comes up here.” I said.

         “Oh, wow. Trying to play on my conscious now, are you? I’m sorry for disturbing you.” He said and began to walk away.

         “No, Draco. I didn’t mean it like that.” I said, he stopped and turned around to look at me again, “What?” I asked.

         “You called me Draco… not Malfoy.” He said. I hadn’t realized what I had said. I used to call him Draco when we were younger.

         “Oh, yeah. I guess I did.” I said as he smirked at me.

         “Does this mean we’re back to being friends? Because I want to give you something for your birthday, but I can’t give it to you unless we’re friends again.” He said. Wow, was he blackmailing me? I stood up while trying to contain my smile.

         “Sure. We’re friends again. Well, kind of.” I shrugged and he chuckled.

         “I'll take what I can get.” He said, I smiled as he walked closer to me.

         “So, what is my gift?” I asked, Draco lifted an eyebrow and smirked.

         “You don’t really want to be my friend do you? You just want your gift!” he exclaimed, looking extremely sad and disappointed.

         “Of course I want to be your friend. I’m just scared of what others might think.” I sighed and smiled at him, “And I want to get my gift. It is my birthday after all, aren’t I supposed to get presents?” I joked.

         “Okay. But you need to prove your wanting to be friends with me.” He said.

         “Oh my goodness Draco. I wish I had just said ‘no’ now!” Draco sneered at me.

         “I’m serious Hermione. Please, just a hug. You’re not still afraid of me are you?” he asked quietly. I looked at him. He was watching me with pleading eyes. I sighed again but then, hesitantly, put my arms around his back. I had a flashback to the first time I hugged him. He had been totally stiff at first, but then he had loosened up. This time he didn’t hesitate to put his arms around me to hug me, his arms were warm around my waist as he pulled me closer. I breathed in and was immediately overwhelmed by his scent. The last time we had been this close, I hadn’t been able to smell him. He had been drinking that night, which actually was the reason I didn’t kiss him back then. But he smelled wonderful, a mix of himself and a very good smelling cologne.

We stood like this for quite a while, I tried pulling away but he wouldn’t let me. I dropped my arms, but he kept his around me.                   

         “So, what was it you wanted to give me?” I asked curiously, he smiled down at me.

         “Something I wanted to give you for a long time. Since Christmas during our fourth year actually.” He said hesitantly. Uh-oh… this was not going where I wanted it to go. It was getting a little awkward. Draco leaned down quickly and before I could turn away, his lips crashed into mine. It was like fire exploded inside my body. His lips were soft on top of mine. The kiss was careful at first, but when he realized I wasn’t pulling away it got more urgent. He moved one of his hands up to my head, and began playing with my hair. His tongue moved across my bottom lip, asking for permission to enter my mouth and I didn’t hesitate. I let it. When our tongues met I gasped, a strange sensation cursed through my body. This was a lot different than what I had tried with Ron.

Wait… Ron. I immediately pulled away and stepped backwards out of his arms.

         “What the bloody hell Malfoy!” I yelled, frustrated with him, frustrated with myself. I didn’t know what I was doing. This was Draco Malfoy. I had never in my life thought that I was going to kiss him.

         “Back to surnames again, huh?” he smirked.

         “Shut it Malfoy! Why did you do that?” I sneered. He had put on his best poker face, not showing any emotion.

         “I told you. I have wanted to do this ever since our fourth year. Hermione I really like you. I always have.” He said, “Just consider it as your birthday kiss. Forget it happened if you want to. I know you have Weasley. I just needed to do this. So happy birthday Hermione.” He continued before leaving me alone in the corridor in front of the cat, which had watched the whole scene. It looked curiously at me as if to see what I’d do next.

         “Don’t say a word.” I muttered before saying the password and entering the common room. I went straight to my room. What the heck had just happened out there?

So... what did you guys think? COMMENT on your thoughts, and VOTE :) It would make me happy!