Meeting Anne

I sat on my bed in the orphanage and stared at the white wall.

" Hey Skylar do you wanna come outside with us?",  Molly asks.

Molly is one of my closest friends here.

"No thanks. I think I'm just staying here.", I answer her.

"Okay if you change your mind then you know where you can find us", she smiles.

I just nod and smile back. With that she leaves the room and I am alone with my thoughts.

I think about my family. I really miss them. Suddenly there is a knock on the door.

"Come in", I say.

Miss Evans enters the room. Miss Evans is the owner of the orphanage. She's actually really nice.

"Hey Skylar. Here's someone who'd like to meet you", she says.

Oh my god I know what that means. There's someone who wants to adopt me. I automatically get scared. I don't have the best experience with my old step familys or however you call it.

"I know how you feel", she continues. "but she's really nice. Just come and say Hello."

I groan mentally but stand up and go downstairs with Miss Evans.

When I come downstairs I see a beautiful woman with brown hair and a sympatic smile sit on the Couch.

When she sees us she stands up and holds her hand out for me to shake it.

"I'm Anne. Anne Cox.", she smiles at me.

"Skylar.", I simply said but smiled back at her.

"Well I'll leave you two alone for a while so you can talk a bit,  okay?", Miss Evans asks.

I nodd. And with that she leaves the room.

"So...", I try to start the conversation.

"I think I'm gonna tell you about my family first, okay?", Anne continues.

I nod and listen carefully.

She tells me about her daughter Gemma who is already on college and about her son Harry. He still lives at Home. She is divorced but married another man and she seems really happy now. I can see a spark in her eyes when she talks about her husband. She told me that If I wanted I could go to school after the Holidays and go to sport or watever. I have to admit she and her family sound really nice but I am still a little bit unsure.

Once I got adopted and the family seemed really nice and I loved it there until my stepdad started drinking. He started to beat my mother, my sister and me up. My mum and my sister moved out. They wanted to take me with them but ouur dad wouldn´t let them. So I had to stay with my dad. He beat me up everyday and I had to do everything in the House and If I didn´t do it right he would beat me up and made me do it again. That´s why I don´t trust people easily.

She probably noticed my insecureties because she says "We wouldn´t hurt you. Never. I know everyone can say that but it´s a promise and our family never breaks a promise."

I don´t know what it was but something in her voice tells me I could trust her.

That moment Miss Evans entered the room again.

"Are you two done?", she asks me.

"Yeah, we are.", i answer.

"Great! I think then you can go up and think about If you want to go with her and Anne will return in two weeks so you have enough time to decide wether you really want to go with her or if you want to stay here."

"Okay. See you in two weeks.", I say before I quickly made my way upstairs. I had to tell Molly about what happened.

When I come upstairs Molly is already there.

"Hey Molly."

"Hey.", she replies.

"I have to tell you some-", I begin but she interrupts me.

"I heard it. I just came in and well I heard you talking and I wanted to know whats up so yeah.."

"What do you think?", I aske

her.

"Do you want and honest answer?", she asks and I nod.

"If I were you I´d go with her. She really sounds nice and you don´t get the chance to start a new life in a new family often so I´d go. You don't have much to lose."

I couldn´t do anything else but smile. She was right. That was my chance to get out of here.

"You're right.", I finally say.

"I'll miss you.", She says as she comes up to me and hugging me.

"I'll miss you too. We still have two weeks left you know.", I remind her.

"Yeah Let's make the best out of it.", She answers.