“So why the sudden interest in hanging out with us again?” Kyla said rudely.

“I decided I didn’t want someone to control me anymore, I missed my friends, among other things.” I snapped.

“If you are ever going to tell me the truth, now is the time.”  She crossed her arms and stared at me, waiting for me to reply.

“Kyla, I will tell you when I figure out some things, okay?” She looked at me, obviously not believing me. ‘Goodness, what is it with no one believing me!’ “I promise, when I sort through things, everything will be back to normal.”

“And what is normal, Evan? You’ve ignored me so long I don’t even know you anymore.” She left the common room, leaving me here alone, in the empty common room. Tomorrow we leave for Christmas, no use in trying to make amends now before break.

I decided although I’m not hungry, I’m going to the Great Hall and officially ending things with Harry then ignoring everyone until I leave. ‘This feels a lot like the beginning of the year when everyone either hated me or distrusted me. Difference is, this time, most of them have a reason.’

At the Great Hall, I saw Harry and Cho talking with facial expressions and mouthing conversations. I took my normal seat next to Hermione and acted like nothing happened. When Harry noticed me there he was confused. ‘Guess Ron and Hermione told him.’ Ron and Hermione gave me nervous, supportive smiles while pretending to be really interested in eating. Or at least Hermione was pretending, Ron was stuffing his face as usual. There was an awkward silence until I broke it, “So, Harry what are your plans for the holidays?” I asked casually.

“Going to Grimmauld Place with my godfather and the Weasleys. What about you?” He asked, obviously still puzzled.

“I am going home, first time I’ve had a Christmas there in years.” I paused to let him speak but when he didn’t I continued. “Not that you really care.” I glared at him as I said this louder. He looked up from his food and at me. I resumed, “So what is Cho doing over the holidays?” He choked on the roll he was eating.

“Wha- what?”

“I said, What. Is. Cho. Doing. Over. The. Holidays.” I enunciated each word.

“Listen, Evan, I can explain-“

“Explain what?” I interrupted. “That you only asked me out to get some inside information on Lord Voldemort? To make sure my brother doesn’t kill you? Do you honestly think I’m a death eater? I wear to many perky clothes to be a death eater!” I shouted making my voice louder with each question. I stood up to make my presence even more dominant. “I thought you were better than that, Harry. But I was wrong to give you a second chance, you are the same git I met at Florean Fortescue’s back before school started. I thought us dating would relieve both of our stress, but I was clearly wrong! This is why I don’t help those when it involves my feelings being sacrificed, because it just leads to lies and drama.” By now the entire Great Hall was focused on me and Harry. ”Truth be told, Harry, at first sight you liked me because I was different, a mystery, the ‘nice Malfoy’, when you lost interest, you ignored me. And me? I nrver had more than a friend feeling with you, never. I acted like I did, but I just used you to get over Seamus (note: here Seamus smirks when he hears this), which is how I’m not crying over this, because I never felt anything romantic towards you.” I left the Great Hall feeling like a ton of weight has lifted from my shoulders with a smile on my face. Once in my dormitory, I immediately started packing my things. ‘I have never been so eager to return home. Thank Merlin, Mum and Dad were taking us out early and didn’t know about any of my relationships here. I don’t want to be cooped up in this place, I need freedom, no matter how small.’ I showered and changed into my pjs after I finished packing, then I slowly fell into a deep dreamless sleep.