my note to you a slenderman love story

Calling it a creepy story would be a bit of an insult, because it isn't one. This is an expression of gratitude toward a friend, a friend who was always there for me. He watched over me as I was growing up and was the best friend any kid could ever have.

Even if I didn't recognize it at the time.

He was always there, even though I couldn't see him, and he was always acting in my best interests, even if I couldn't understand. I'd like to take some time to share with you our story, because if you're lucky, you might have a friend like this too.

I think I should let you read his letter first. In May of 2010, I bought a new computer and took my old one to the shop to have everything backed up. I'd brought the new computer home and had begun restoring my files from my portable hard drive and re installing programs when I noticed that there was a file in the Misc. folder that the shop's technician had created for files with no other place. It was called HappyBirthdayBaby.txt.

Initially I thought it was a message my mom had written for me that I'd never read as intended, but I opened it, and this is what I found:

You might find this one day... I'm not great at this computer stuff, but I've watched you tinkering with this machine lately, and I think I know how to save this so that you'll find it. Seeing as it's time for me to go, I want to leave you this last little message.

I know you never met your father, but to me he was Cool. Marcus Andrew Stadtfleld, as I'm sure your mother told you. He was a good man, one with the pride of a lion, the strength of a bear and a heart of pure gold. Truth is, I was almost like his son long before you were born. I was his second in command and served with him for 3 years.

I watched as your mother wept when she heard the news, her belly swollen with your soon-to-be debut into this world, and I stayed with her every second of every day. That was, until the day you came into the world- then my focus shifted to you.

I watched as they cleaned you and handed you to your mother, and she seemed to look right at me with a knowing eye as I stood over the both of you, almost as if she'd known along, and I'd be willing to bet my last penny she did. I've watched you grow and I remember everything, even the things you don't. You always were such a happy baby and you had seemed to have inherited your father's sense of humor. When you were getting to be 4 months old, you would do just about everything to hinder your mother's attempts at changing you, laughing all the while. You were a wild one at heart, just as you are today.

Just like Marcus.

When you were about 6 months old we would play all the time. We had one game in particular, where I would grab your toes and tickle your belly. You would love it, though when your mother came in l'd have to stop, and it always perplexed her as to why you'd abruptly start crying- after a while, she seemed to think you didn't like her, which is when I realized that I had to back away some.

When you were one year old you seemed to develop a sixth sense for me and although you couldn't really see me so much or so well anymore, you knew I was there. I couldn't play with you as much as before because I knew it would only hurt you in the long run, but I always kept guard. I knew you remembered seeing me because you had a way of testing my presence, you'd throw toys into the corner where I stood and then wait to see if I would play with them. Now, I know you won't remember this, but once you threw a bear and a ragdoll at me, and because your mother was busy in the kitchen making dinner, I kept you entertained by putting on a little show. It was nothing special, I just made them dance a little. You were laughing loudly and your mom came in to see what was so funny, but when she saw, she wasn't laughing. I bet you could mention the bear and ragdoll dance even today and the color would run right out of her cheeks, but do me a favor and don't. I think it would be kinder to ask if you ever threw the toys into the corner, that isn't quite as bad a memory for her as the dancing is.